13 Assassins (Jûsan-nin no shikaku), 2010.
Directed by Takashi Miike.
The sadistic Lord Naritsugu, brother of the Shogun and therefore above the law, commits a string of atrocities across feudal Japan. The samurai Shinzaemon Shimada is hired to assassinate him, hiring a team of samurai assassins to assist him, ending in a final bloody showdown.
With some eighty films to his name, Takashi Miike is every bit the prolific director, hopping and mashing up genres to his hearts content. While Western audiences best know him for gruesome thrillers (Audition) and crime dramas (Dead or Alive) he's also dabbled in melodramas, period films and even (believe it or not) children's features. So it's with expert hands that Miike approaches 13 Assassins, a remake of the 1963 film of the same name.
Those expecting Miike's infamously violent scenes will not be disappointed, but it's not in an »
Similar News ItemsTakashi Miike
- Tokyo Intl. Film Festival Kicks Off with Gala Premiere of ‘Big Hero 6′ (From Variety - Film News. 23 October 2014, 7:42 AM, PDT)
- Tokyo Festival Opens With Pomp, Prime Minister and Hints of Levity (From Variety - Film News. 23 October 2014, 4:29 AM, PDT)
- Rome Film Festival: Takashi Miike Receives Maverick Director Award (From The Hollywood Reporter. 18 October 2014, 2:03 PM, PDT)
- Takeshi Kitano Tired of Gangsters and Commercial Constraints (From Variety - Film News. 25 October 2014, 5:58 AM, PDT)
- Koji Yakusho Wins Toshiro Mifune Award at Kyoto Fest Closing (From Variety - Film News. 19 October 2014, 9:10 AM, PDT)
- 'St. Vincent' Director Reveals the Hilarious Process He Went Through to Cast Bill Murray (From Movies.com. 3 October 2014, 5:30 PM, PDT)
- EW's Horror Quintessentials: The 5 best 'It Could Happen to You' movies (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 23 October 2014, 12:10 PM, PDT)
- 5 Horror Films Too Disturbing To Watch Again (From SoundOnSight. 22 October 2014, 8:44 PM, PDT)
- Over Your Dead Body Review [Fantastic Fest 2014] (From We Got This Covered. 15 October 2014, 3:34 PM, PDT)