Versatile Irish stage actor who became a familiar face across British drama
Before he became a familiar face on television and cinema screens, the outstanding Irish actor Tp McKenna, who has died after a long illness aged 81, bridged the gap between the old and the new Abbey theatres in Dublin. He appeared with the company for eight years during the interim period at the Queen's theatre; the old Abbey burned down in 1951, the new one opened by the Liffey in 1966.
During that time he made his reputation as a leading actor of great charm, vocal resource – with a fine singing voice – and versatility. He was equally adept at comedy and tragedy, a great exponent of the best Irish playwriting from Jm Synge and Séan O'Casey to Hugh Leonard and Brian Friel. The elder son in Eugene O'Neill's Long Day's Journey Into Night was a favourite, much acclaimed role.
It was Stephen D, »
- Michael Coveney
Similar News ItemsJohnny Depp
- Johnny Depp returns to the life of crime in new Black Mass trailer (From Cineplex. 25 May 2015, 11:47 AM, PDT)
- Johnny Depp Brings Terror To The Neighborhood In Full Black Mass Trailer (From Cinema Blend. 25 May 2015, 11:34 AM, PDT)
- ‘Tomorrowland’ Exposes Hollywood’s Originality Problem (From Variety - Film News. 25 May 2015, 11:08 AM, PDT)
- Ghosts are real in two new trailers for Guillermo del Toro’s Crimson Peak (From Cineplex. 13 May 2015, 10:15 AM, PDT)
- Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate Brother-Sister Leads Confirmed; Ubisoft Slates Victorian-Era Sequel For October (From We Got This Covered. 12 May 2015, 9:53 AM, PDT)
- Game Reveal: "Assassin's Creed: Syndicate" (From Dark Horizons. 12 May 2015, 7:13 AM, PDT)
Richard Burton (I)
- Can A&E's 'The Returned' Break Free From the French Original? Why It's Worth a Look (From Entertainment Tonight. 9 March 2015, 8:13 AM, PDT)
- John Osborne on Film: Look Back in Anger (From SoundOnSight. 6 March 2015, 7:35 PM, PST)
- 10 things you (probably) didn’t know about The Sound of Music (From Cineplex. 1 March 2015, 9:30 PM, PST)