With Robert Downey Junior's inspired reinventing of the role in Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Homes (2010) and the BBC effectively bringing Holmes to the 21st Century in the popular TV series Sherlock (2010) starring Benedict Cumberbatch, the crime-solving antics of the Great Detective and his loyal colleague Dr Watson seem in good hands, and remain as popular as ever. Among the screen actors who have effectively brought Holmes to life include Arthur Wontner, Basil Rathbone, Peter Cushing, Douglas Wilmer, Ian Richardson and Jeremy Brett. As an amazing and complex role to play, the right actor can add great depth to it.
But then there are others who turned out to be Not-So-Great-Detectives, either through miscasting or just being plain bad. One does not need the power of deductive reasoning to see why the following ten actors fell way off the mark...
Roger Moore - Sherlock Homes in New York (1976)
"My name is Holmes, »
Similar News ItemsRobert Downey Jr.
- Robert Downey Jr. and Jon Favreau Unveil Posters for Chef (From GeekTyrant. 8 March 2014, 2:00 PM, PST)
- SXSW Opener, Jon Favreau's 'Chef,' is Scruffy Indie Crowdpleaser (From Thompson on Hollywood. 8 March 2014, 1:48 PM, PST)
- The Week in Spandex - Batman vs. Superman, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, The Avengers: Age of Ultron, Watchmen, Gotham, Arrow, The Flash and more (From Flickeringmyth. 8 March 2014, 12:35 PM, PST)
Sherlock Holmes (2009)
- Sherlock Series 3: 20 Canonical References You May Have Missed (From Obsessed with Film. 7 March 2014, 6:20 AM, PST)
- Sherlock to return in 2016? (From Virgin Media - TV. 7 March 2014, 3:00 AM, PST)
- Tim’S Vermeer – The Review (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 6 March 2014, 2:21 PM, PST)
- Sherlock creator Mark Gatiss: 'Benedict Cumberbatch is irreplaceable' (From Digital Spy - TV news. 8 March 2014, 6:04 AM, PST)
- Mark Gatiss says Sherlock star Benedict Cumberbatch is irreplaceable (From Virgin Media - TV. 8 March 2014, 3:00 AM, PST)
- 'August Osage County' - rich brew of drama (Ians Movie Review) (From RealBollywood. 7 March 2014, 10:58 PM, PST)