Sad news this morning: five-time Oscar winning composer John Barry died yesterday in New York at the age of 77.
In addition to his many Academy honors — two in 1966 (song and score) for "Born Free" and then one apiece for "The Lion in Winter" (1968), "Out of Africa" (1985) and "Dances With Wolves" (1990) — Barry is notable for having scored 11 James Bond films, along with countless others: "Midnight Cowboy," "Walkabout," "The Day of the Locust," "Game of Death," "The Golden Child," "Howard the Duck," "Peggy Sue Got Married," "Chaplin," "Indecent Proposal"... you're getting the idea here, right?
Barry's work on Bond is by far his most recognizable. The iconic Bond theme was originally credited to composer Monty Norman, though some questions have been raised in recent years over how much of the work belongs to Barry. It is now commonly accepted that Norman's contribution laid out the basic notes, which Barry then fleshed out into a full orchestral piece. »
- Adam Rosenberg
Similar News ItemsDances with Wolves (1990)
- Film Review: ‘Free State of Jones’ (From Variety - Film News. 20 June 2016, 4:25 PM, PDT)
- David Lynch Helps New Filmmaker Monica Demes Overcome Writer’s Block and Embrace Feminism (From CineMovie. 10 June 2016, 9:01 AM, PDT)
- Steve Coogan-Rob Brydon's 'The Trip To Spain' heads to Us, Europe, Asia (From ScreenDaily. 7 June 2016, 3:11 AM, PDT)
Dr. No (1962)
- Things that happened on Nicole Kidman's Birthday over the years (From FilmExperience. 20 June 2016, 4:00 AM, PDT)
- The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959) (From Trailers from Hell. 18 June 2016, 8:02 AM, PDT)
- James Bond: Live Or Let Die? (From We Got This Covered. 15 June 2016, 5:22 PM, PDT)
- Gold (1934) (From Trailers from Hell. 13 June 2016, 9:46 PM, PDT)
- Who Should Direct the Next James Bond Film? And What Should the Series Become? (From Variety - Film News. 29 May 2016, 9:47 AM, PDT)
- Who should direct / star in the next Bond? (From FilmExperience. 28 May 2016, 6:00 PM, PDT)