This week: Does it matter if negative portrayals of gay people are created by gay people themselves? Plus, is Bugs Bunny bisexual?
Have a question about gay male entertainment? Contact me here (and be sure and include your city and state and/or country!
Q: What do you think is the worst portrayal of gay folks by a gay artist? – Milo, Indianapolis, Indiana
A: Oh, man, that is one serious can-o-worms! But I also think it’s an absolutely fascinating question, because of how the idea of social or “gay” responsibility clashes with the notion that artists have a personal responsibility to tell the truth as they see it. After all, it’s not the job of any artist to create propaganda or “sanitize” the truth.
But what if I think a project by a gay or bisexual artist portrays gay people in an inaccurate, stereotypical, or offensive way? If we’re both gay, »
- Brent Hartinger
Similar News ItemsElizabeth Taylor (I)
- Drive-In Dust Offs: Willard (From DailyDead. 21 November 2015, 1:09 PM, PST)
- James Prideaux, Playwright Who Wrote Katharine Hepburn TV Movies, Dies at 88 (From Variety - TV News. 20 November 2015, 5:40 PM, PST)
- 10 Best Actors On American Horror Story (From Obsessed with Film. 20 November 2015, 11:48 AM, PST)
Gus Van Sant
- Top 10 Best Lgbtqa Films Every Non-lgbtqa Person Should See! (From Manny the Movie Guy. 24 November 2015, 9:53 AM, PST)
- 2016 Sundance Film Festival Predictions: Jason Lew’s The Free World (From ioncinema. 24 November 2015, 9:30 AM, PST)
- Netflix Lands Two-Movie Distribution Deal, Including Bob Odenkirk's Comedy-Noir 'Girlfriend's Day' (From Indiewire. 23 November 2015, 11:17 AM, PST)
- Golden Globes: Voting Track Record Busts Some Old Myths (From Variety - Film News. 25 November 2015, 10:00 AM, PST)
- November Highlights Pt.1 (From FilmExperience. 18 November 2015, 6:30 AM, PST)
- Veteran Indian actor Saeed Jaffrey Dead at 86 (From Variety - Film News. 16 November 2015, 12:51 AM, PST)