“Annabelle: Creation” may not be able to save the summer — which, after this weekend, will only fall farther behind last year’s pace — but it is doing its part to frighten audiences into theaters.
The latest from New Line and Warner Bros, which serves as the fourth installment in what has become the “Conjuring” extended universe, is casting its evil eye on $35 million from 3,502 locations. That’s a strong start for the horror flick, which was made for about $15 million.
The track record for the franchise is strong — “Annabelle” ($37.1 million); “The Conjuring” ($41.9 million); and “The Conjuring 2” ($40.4 million). David F. Sandberg directed the sequel about a dollmaker whose creation terrorizes a group of orphan girls. For those invested in the “Conjuring” canon, it serves as a prequel to the first “Annabelle.” Stephanie Sigman, Talitha Bateman, Anthony Lapaglia, and Miranda Otto star in the pic that critics have generally given a thumbs up »
- Seth Kelley
Similar News ItemsChristopher Nolan (I)
- Box Office: ‘Hitman’s Bodyguard’ Shooting for $20 Million in Slow Weekend (From Variety - Film News. 18 August 2017, 1:14 PM, PDT)
- Oscars: Clint Eastwood, Steven Spielberg, Ridley Scott Race to the Finish (From Variety - Film News. 18 August 2017, 12:04 PM, PDT)
- Box Office: ‘Hitman’s Bodyguard’ Fires Off $1.7 Million on Thursday Night (From Variety - Film News. 18 August 2017, 8:05 AM, PDT)
- War for the Plant of the Apes gets China release date (From Flickeringmyth. 16 August 2017, 9:20 PM, PDT)
- The Galactic Empire Expected To Loom Large Over Ron Howard’s Han Solo Movie (From We Got This Covered. 16 August 2017, 1:39 PM, PDT)
- The Empire looms large for Han Solo in Star Wars spin-off (From Flickeringmyth. 16 August 2017, 1:18 PM, PDT)
- Win ‘The Bleeder’ On DVD – Liev Schrieber Leads The Story Of ‘The Real Rocky’ (From The Hollywood News. 18 August 2017, 3:00 AM, PDT)
- Lake Bell on Her 'Responsibility as the Mother of a Daughter' When It Comes to Aging: She Shouldn't 'See Me Afraid' (From PEOPLE.com. 17 August 2017, 6:00 AM, PDT)
- It’s Time to Talk About the Scruffy Sexiness That Is Liev Schreiber (From Popsugar. 16 August 2017, 1:40 PM, PDT)