Paris– Cannes Film Festival’ Critics Week, the parallel section dedicated to first and second films, will open this year with “Sicilian Ghost Story” from Fabio Grassadonia and Antonio Piazza, the Italian director duo whose debut “Salvo” had won the Grand Prize in 2013.
Speaking to Variety, Critics’ Week’s topper Charles Tesson described the film as a ‘Romeo and Juliet’ tale set against the contemporary backdrop of the Sicilian mafia world. The film, which is also politically-engaged, weaves teen drama, crime thriller and supernatural elements, Tesson said.
“Sicilian Ghost Story” follows a young girl who refuses to cope with the disappearance of her lover and strives, guided by her visions, to break the prevailing omerta.
Echoing Cannes’ official selection, the lineup of this 56th edition of Critics Week will have a definite political edge.
One of the most politically-charged works to compete at Critics Week is an animated feature, Ali Soozandeh »
- Elsa Keslassy
Similar News ItemsStar Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
- Big Bang Theory @ Comic-Con: 'Shamy' Proposal Intel and a Gag Gone Wrong (From TVLine.com. 21 July 2017, 10:57 AM, PDT)
- ‘Big Bang Theory’ Stars Talk Sheldon-Amy Finale Proposal at Comic-Con (From Variety - TV News. 21 July 2017, 10:52 AM, PDT)
- Exclusive: Liev Schreiber and Naomi Watts Reunite With Their Sons at Comic-Con -- See Their Cute Costumes! (From Entertainment Tonight. 21 July 2017, 10:46 AM, PDT)
Mark Hamill (I)
- I Want That: Kid-sized Star Wars Landspeeder (From JoBlo. 21 July 2017, 8:49 AM, PDT)
- Game of Thrones’ Nikolaj Coster-Waldau will guest star on The Simpsons (From Flickeringmyth. 20 July 2017, 5:40 PM, PDT)
- Update: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Luke Skywalker and Rey Black Series two-pack revealed (From Flickeringmyth. 20 July 2017, 3:00 PM, PDT)
Josh Hartnett (I)
- Why Josh Hartnett Turned Down Batman Begins (From Cinema Blend. 22 June 2017, 10:13 AM, PDT)
- Josh Hartnett Reflects On His Decision To Turn Down Batman Begins (From We Got This Covered. 21 June 2017, 3:16 PM, PDT)
- Why Josh Hartnett Passed on Christopher Nolan’s Batman Trilogy (From Screen Rant. 20 June 2017, 9:32 PM, PDT)