Financially strapped Rhi Entertainment, a leading producer and distributor of TV movies and miniseries, said Friday it has started voluntary Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings that will wipe away $309 million in debt.
Under the plan, creditors will take an 85% ownership stake in the company, with the remaining 15% maintained by president and CEO Robert Halmi Jr., whose father founded the company in 1979.
Hallmark Cards purchased Rhi in 1994, and Halmi Jr., along with other top executives and affiliates of investment firm Kelso & Co., acquired the company in 2006, saddling it with $609 million in debt. It proved an unmanageable amount when worldwide ad rates plunged 22% in 2008, Halmi Jr. said Friday.
After the bankruptcy, the company's debt will stand at $300 million. Kelso and public shareholders will have lost as much as $280 million as the stock, which traded for $13 a share two years ago, was at a nickel on Friday. Halmi Jr.'s personal wealth has taken a $6.5 million hit. »
Similar News Items"Lonesome Dove" (1989)
- In A Valley of Violence Review: A Bloody and Brutal Pulp Western (From MovieWeb. 21 October 2016, 8:16 AM, PDT)
- Tali Shalom Ezer Directing Ellen Page and Kate Mara in Romantic Drama ‘Mercy’ (From Variety - Film News. 18 August 2016, 3:09 PM, PDT)
- From Must-See TV to Peak TV: 20 Years of covering television (From Hitfix. 2 June 2016, 6:00 AM, PDT)
RHI Entertainment [us]
- One Unlikely Bidder for Relativity: Ryan Kavanaugh? (From Variety - Film News. 30 July 2015, 4:41 PM, PDT)
- Comic-Con 2015: MTV Announces Panels for Scream: The TV Series, Teen Wolf (From DailyDead. 26 June 2015, 11:47 AM, PDT)
- Robert Halmi Sr., Legendary TV Producer, Dies at 90 (From The Hollywood Reporter. 30 July 2014, 6:06 PM, PDT)
Robert Halmi Jr.
- Michael Shannon & Imogen Poots’ ‘Frank & Lola’ Gets December Release Date (From Deadline. 17 October 2016, 2:16 PM, PDT)
- Brian Geraghty Joins Ellen Page-Kate Mara Romance ‘Mercy’ (From Variety - Film News. 20 September 2016, 4:59 PM, PDT)
- Mark Ruffalo Responds to Matt Bomer Transgender Casting Backlash: ‘I Hear You’ (From Variety - Film News. 1 September 2016, 4:08 PM, PDT)