Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” scored with audiences, racking up a massive $170 million domestically to become the biggest March debut ever and the seventh-best opening in history. The fairy tale remake added an additional $180 million to its haul from international territories, raking in big bucks in major markets like China and the United Kingdom.
Once again, Disney has successfully updated a “tale as old as time” for a new generation of moviegoers while retaining the sense of wonder and magic that made the 1991 animated version of “Beauty and the Beast” a cultural touchstone for an older audience. It continues the studio’s successful collection of live-action remakes of cartoon favorites like “The Jungle Book” and “Cinderella” and helps propel star Emma Watson to the top of the A-list. Here are five reasons “Beauty and the Beast” smashed records.
1.) Emma Watson Delivered
Movie fans grew up with Watson, watching the »
- Brent Lang
Similar News ItemsStar Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
- The Week in Movie News: Here's What You Need to Know (From Movies.com. 20 October 2017, 11:00 PM, PDT)
- Today in Movie Culture: Eiza Gonzalez as Catwoman, 'Star Wars' Augmented Reality Experience and More (From Movies.com. 20 October 2017, 9:30 PM, PDT)
- Box Office Projections For Star Wars: The Last Jedi Put It Below The Force Awakens (From We Got This Covered. 20 October 2017, 6:11 PM, PDT)
Robert Downey Jr.
- An Unexpected Iron Man 3 Character Is Returning For Avengers 4 (From We Got This Covered. 20 October 2017, 5:44 PM, PDT)
- Scarlett Johansson Leads Avengers Cast in Puerto Rico Benefit Event (From MovieWeb. 20 October 2017, 1:13 PM, PDT)
- Why The Russos are probably done with Avengers movies after Infinity War (From JoBlo. 20 October 2017, 10:06 AM, PDT)
- Leonardo Dicaprio’s Biggest Movie Regret? Not Playing Dirk Diggler in “Boogie Nights” (From TVovermind.com. 20 October 2017, 12:30 PM, PDT)
- Leonardo DiCaprio Turned Down ‘Hocus Pocus’ Role But His Audition ‘Awakened’ The Director (From ET Canada. 20 October 2017, 12:01 PM, PDT)
- Leonardo DiCaprio Was Almost in Hocus Pocus and Our Childhoods Are a Lie (From BuzzSugar. 20 October 2017, 11:30 AM, PDT)