Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” scored with audiences, racking up a massive $170 million domestically to become the biggest March debut ever and the seventh-best opening in history. The fairy tale remake added an additional $180 million to its haul from international territories, raking in big bucks in major markets like China and the United Kingdom.
Once again, Disney has successfully updated a “tale as old as time” for a new generation of moviegoers while retaining the sense of wonder and magic that made the 1991 animated version of “Beauty and the Beast” a cultural touchstone for an older audience. It continues the studio’s successful collection of live-action remakes of cartoon favorites like “The Jungle Book” and “Cinderella” and helps propel star Emma Watson to the top of the A-list. Here are five reasons “Beauty and the Beast” smashed records.
1.) Emma Watson Delivered
Movie fans grew up with Watson, watching the »
- Brent Lang
Similar News ItemsStar Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
- Spaceballs 30th Anniversary Secrets Revealed by Bill Pullman (From MovieWeb. 23 June 2017, 10:18 AM, PDT)
- Video: 5 Best Sword-Fights in Movies (From The Cultural Post. 23 June 2017, 10:04 AM, PDT)
- Gabourey Sidibe on How She Found Her Voice as a Director (From Variety - Film News. 23 June 2017, 9:38 AM, PDT)
Robert Downey Jr.
- Aunt May And Peter Share A Quiet Family Moment In New Spider-Man: Homecoming Promo (From We Got This Covered. 23 June 2017, 10:34 AM, PDT)
- Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, the Han Solo prequel, Daniel Day-Lewis and more make our weekly movie news! (From Cineplex. 23 June 2017, 10:05 AM, PDT)
- Latest Avengers: Infinity War Set Photo May Be Hiding A Story Clue In Plain Sight (From We Got This Covered. 23 June 2017, 9:13 AM, PDT)
- The Twilight Zone gets Christine Lavaf as screenwriter for feature film (From Flickeringmyth. 21 June 2017, 3:28 AM, PDT)
- The Twilight Zone movie lands new writer (From Den of Geek. 20 June 2017, 7:17 PM, PDT)
- Twilight Zone Movie Gets MonsterVerse Writer Christine Lavaf (From MovieWeb. 20 June 2017, 6:18 PM, PDT)