Locarno – For decades now, Luc Besson, a director who gave French cinema a huge shot of mainstream action-traction and grandfathered – though not old himself – a new generation of Gallic action directors, has been dubbed, and sometimes dismissed in his native France, as “American.”
That, from Besson’s point-of-view, would appear to be an over-simplification.
Fresh off an $81.9 million first ten-day U.S. bow for the Universal-distribbed “Lucy,” the Luc Besson who spoke at the press conference at Locarno Fest, which “Lucy” opened on Wednesday, was a full-on supporter of the world’s new multi-culturalism in an Internet age.
Like Lionsgate-Summit “Now You See Me,” from Besson alum Louis Leterrier, or indeed “Taken” and “Taken 2,” both produced by Besson’s EuropaCorp, “Lucy” globe-trots with a modern-day ease, in location, characters, thesps and filmic influences.
- John Hopewell and Elsa Keslassy
Similar News ItemsScarlett Johansson
- Ghost World (From Trailers from Hell. 26 May 2017, 4:56 PM, PDT)
- Kevin Feige Talks McU 10th Year and Regaining Rights To All Marvel Characters (From Cinelinx. 26 May 2017, 4:15 PM, PDT)
- Summer 2017 Film Preview (From Women and Hollywood. 26 May 2017, 9:01 AM, PDT)
Robert De Niro
- Interview: Loren Hammonds, Programmer of Immersive Films at Tribeca Film Festival (From HollywoodChicago.com. 28 May 2017, 3:44 PM, PDT)
- Why Swimfan Is the Most Underrated Thriller of the 2000s (From MovieWeb. 28 May 2017, 1:10 PM, PDT)
- Why Andrew Madoff’s Fiancee Hasn’t Watched New HBO Movie About His Father — and How She Has Rebuilt Her Life (From PEOPLE.com. 25 May 2017, 10:40 AM, PDT)
Morgan Freeman (I)
- Diane Keaton’s AFI Life Achievement Tribute Sets TNT Airdate, Cinematographer Also To Be Feted (From Deadline. 24 May 2017, 9:32 AM, PDT)
- Diane Keaton’s AFI Life Achievement Tribute Sets TNT Airdate, Cinematographer Also To Be Feted (From Deadline TV. 24 May 2017, 9:32 AM, PDT)
- ‘Through the Wormhole’ with Morgan Freeman: Emmy voters can watch ‘Is Privacy Dead?’ on Fyc website (From Gold Derby. 16 May 2017, 9:15 AM, PDT)