“Guardians of the Galaxy” injected life into a summer box office that was looking positively moribund.
The Marvel release landed in U.S. theaters with a smashing $94 million debut last weekend, crushing estimates that had pegged an opening in the $70 million range. Those otherworldly results lifted the overall domestic box office.
Going into the weekend, summer ticket sales were off more than 20% from last year’s record-breaker. Thanks to “Guardians,” they now are down 18%, according to Rentrak. The summer box office currently stands at $3.2 billion compared with $3.9 billion at the same point in 2013.
“Summer ain’t over,” said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst at Rentrak. “To move the needle one percent in one weekend is a lot. If we can get so we’re 12 or 15 percent down by the end of summer, that’s a more manageable deficit.”
After eight straight weeks of declines, last weekend was up 34.6% over the previous year’s haul. »
- Brent Lang
Similar News ItemsGuardians of the Galaxy (2014)
- Check out Hasbro’s Transformers: The Last Knight toy line (From Flickeringmyth. 21 February 2017, 8:48 AM, PST)
- Tuesday Toy Review: Marvel Legends Gotg Vol 2 Star Lord Review (From Cinelinx. 21 February 2017, 6:26 AM, PST)
- Josh Gad Recruits Chris Pratt, Judy Dench, J.J. Abrams and More to Ask Daisy Ridley for 'Star Wars' Spoilers (From Entertainment Tonight. 20 February 2017, 6:00 PM, PST)
- Idw bringing Funko to comic books with Funko Universe Month (From Flickeringmyth. 19 February 2017, 6:30 PM, PST)
- Nerd Buy: WWE/Tmnt Action Figures – Wave 2! (From Blogomatic3000. 19 February 2017, 11:40 AM, PST)
- Idw Brings Funko To Comics This May (From We Got This Covered. 18 February 2017, 9:29 AM, PST)
- The Lego Batman Movie Holds Off Newcomers, Continues To Dominate Fifty Shades (From LRM Online. 19 February 2017, 2:34 PM, PST)
- Box Office: ‘Lego Batman’ Flies High Over ‘Great Wall,’ ‘Fist Fight’ (From Variety - Film News. 19 February 2017, 8:43 AM, PST)
- The Lego Movie Beats Out Fifty Shades Darker, But Still Falls Short Of Expectations (From LRM Online. 13 February 2017, 10:18 AM, PST)