“Transformers: Age of Extinction” is a bigger hit in China than it is in the United States, according to numbers released Tuesday by China Movie Media Group, a partner in the production.
So far the film has made $134.5 million in the People’s Republic in its first five days of release compared with $121 million domestically after five days in theaters. The film brought in $10.5 million Stateside on Monday and $10.4 million on Tuesday, so it’s doubtful it will match those figures after Wednesday’s grosses are tallied.
Moreover, the film has now shattered the record set by a China-Hong Kong production, “The Monkey King,” which grossed $133 million over 11 days, and it has done it in half the time.
China Movie Media Group said “Transformers: Age of Extinction” is on track to surpass “Avatar’s” record $217.7 million haul from the country.
It’s almost unheard of for a Hollywood film of »
- Brent Lang
Similar News ItemsParamount Pictures [us]
- TWC Schedules ‘Paddington 2’ For Wide Release (From Deadline. 26 May 2017, 3:13 PM, PDT)
- Paramount Nudges ‘Sherlock Gnomes’ To Later Release Date (From Deadline. 26 May 2017, 1:39 PM, PDT)
- Movie Review: Baywatch (From CinemaNerdz. 26 May 2017, 8:15 AM, PDT)
Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014)
- Hail to the King: 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD & Digital Release Details & Cover Art for Kong: Skull Island (From DailyDead. 24 May 2017, 6:56 PM, PDT)
- Kong: Skull Island Blu-Ray Trailer and DVD Details Unveiled (From MovieWeb. 24 May 2017, 5:13 PM, PDT)
- Surprisingly Good Kong: Skull Island Journeys Home July 18 (From Comicmix. 24 May 2017, 4:52 PM, PDT)
- James Cameron To Produce Vegan Documentary From ‘The Cove’ Director Louis Psihoyos (From Indiewire. 26 May 2017, 7:28 AM, PDT)
- Chinese-Australian co-pro ‘At Last’ to shoot in Queensland (From IF.com.au. 20 April 2017, 5:05 PM, PDT)
- Screen Australia unveils China co-pro 'At Last' (From ScreenDaily. 20 April 2017, 8:03 AM, PDT)