Screenwriter Zak Penn has signed on to rewrite Warner Bros.' video game thriller Ready Player One, four years after the studio first acquired the rights to the novel of the same name by Ernest Cline (Fanboys) in a bidding war.
The story centers on a young teenager named Wade Watts, who escapes into an immersive online virtual world known as Oasis, described as a "social networking utopia that allows its users to lead their dream life." Before the game's creator passes away, he sets up an elaborate treasure hunt where the winner will take control of his company. When Wade enters the contest, he finds himself competing against corporate forces who will stop at nothing to control the company. Donald De Line and Dan Farah are producing.
Similar News ItemsWarner Bros. [us]
- ‘San Andreas’ Heads for $40 Million-Plus Opening, ‘Aloha’ Eyes $12 Million (From Variety - Film News. 29 May 2015, 1:14 PM, PDT)
- Warner Bros. Acquires Sound Facility Digital Cinema New York (From Variety - TV News. 29 May 2015, 12:42 PM, PDT)
- Warner Bros. Acquires Sound Facility Digital Cinema New York (From Variety - Film News. 29 May 2015, 12:42 PM, PDT)
The Avengers (2012)
- New poster for Marvel’s ‘Ant-Man’ (From Blogomatic3000. 29 May 2015, 7:06 AM, PDT)
- Comic book movies, and the exposition dump (From Den of Geek. 28 May 2015, 10:06 PM, PDT)
- Poster Roundup: Ant-man, London Has Fallen and Ted 2 (From Collider.com. 28 May 2015, 12:50 PM, PDT)
Guillermo del Toro
- Watch: Guillermo del Toro Unburies a 1981 Cult Horror Classic You Might Have Missed (From Thompson on Hollywood. 29 May 2015, 10:03 AM, PDT)
- Watch: Supercut Tribute To The Films Of Alejandro González Iñárritu (From The Playlist. 27 May 2015, 2:20 PM, PDT)
- ‘League of Extraordinary Gentlemen’ is getting a reboot because the time is nigh for steampunk Victoriana (From Hitfix. 27 May 2015, 8:45 AM, PDT)