When Will Smith unexpectedly dropped out of Legendary Pictures and Universal Pictures’ Brilliance, the studios were left scrambling to find a replacement. For a while, that replacement appeared to be Oscar winner Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club), who had been approached by the studios and, according to some sources, was keenly interested in the project. Now, according to Nikki Finke, however, Leto has opted to walk away from the film.
Finke, formerly of Deadline, reports that Leto met with director Julius Onah on Monday before deciding to turn down the lead role. For now, Noomi Rapace (the original Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) is the only actor attached to the project.
Brilliance, based on the book of the same name by Marcus Sakey, takes place in a world where one percent of the population are born with heightened cognitive abilities and called ‘brilliants.’ Leto would have starred as Nick Cooper, »
- Isaac Feldberg
Similar News ItemsUniversal Pictures [us]
- ‘The Secret Life of Pets’ Holiday Teaser Offers Cuteness Unleashed (Video) (From The Wrap. 26 November 2015, 8:35 PM, PST)
- ‘Inside Out’ Top-Selling Disc for Third Straight Week (From Variety - Film News. 26 November 2015, 7:46 AM, PST)
- 'Steve Jobs' screenplay by Aaron Sorkin: Read all 190 pages of the Oscar contender (From Gold Derby. 26 November 2015, 1:15 AM, PST)
Will Smith (I)
- I Am Legend: why Will Smith is particularly proud of it (From Den of Geek. 26 November 2015, 10:33 PM, PST)
- Men in Black 4 to feature a female lead, door open for Will Smith return (From Flickeringmyth. 26 November 2015, 3:30 PM, PST)
- Will Smith turned down Django Unchained as he wanted “a love story, not a vengeance story” (From Flickeringmyth. 26 November 2015, 12:20 PM, PST)
- Ridley Scott Talks "Alien: Covenant" Aussie Shoot (From Dark Horizons. 26 November 2015, 9:02 PM, PST)
- Alien: Covenant - its new title's meaning & other questions (From Den of Geek. 17 November 2015, 8:46 AM, PST)
- Ambi Pictures To Remake Christopher Nolan’s Memento (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 16 November 2015, 1:00 PM, PST)