When Will Smith unexpectedly dropped out of Legendary Pictures and Universal Pictures’ Brilliance, the studios were left scrambling to find a replacement. For a while, that replacement appeared to be Oscar winner Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club), who had been approached by the studios and, according to some sources, was keenly interested in the project. Now, according to Nikki Finke, however, Leto has opted to walk away from the film.
Finke, formerly of Deadline, reports that Leto met with director Julius Onah on Monday before deciding to turn down the lead role. For now, Noomi Rapace (the original Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) is the only actor attached to the project.
Brilliance, based on the book of the same name by Marcus Sakey, takes place in a world where one percent of the population are born with heightened cognitive abilities and called ‘brilliants.’ Leto would have starred as Nick Cooper, »
- Isaac Feldberg
Similar News ItemsUniversal Pictures [us]
- A Weird Science reunion is taking place at Denver Comic-Con (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 4 May 2015, 6:42 AM, PDT)
- Universal Pictures sets Ouija 2 for October 2016 (From Flickeringmyth. 3 May 2015, 12:09 PM, PDT)
- “The Great Wall” Rises with Matt Damon and Andy Lau (From AsianMoviePulse. 2 May 2015, 1:05 PM, PDT)
Will Smith (I)
- First Look: See 'Suicide Squad' Cast in Uniform, Plus Will Smith as Deadshot (From Movies.com. 4 May 2015, 12:00 PM, PDT)
- Ludacris -- Massive Brawl Erupts at Vegas Pool Party (From TMZ. 4 May 2015, 7:07 AM, PDT)
- Official Photos From Suicide Squad Comic Book Film, with Will Smith and Margot Robbie (From Worst Previews. 4 May 2015, 4:04 AM, PDT)
- "Child 44" Is Bombing Badly At Box-Office (From Dark Horizons. 3 May 2015, 7:09 AM, PDT)
- Where Are the Women? Child 44 (From FlickFilosopher. 22 April 2015, 1:22 PM, PDT)
- Child 44 movie review: Stalin glance (From FlickFilosopher. 22 April 2015, 1:05 PM, PDT)