When Will Smith unexpectedly dropped out of Legendary Pictures and Universal Pictures’ Brilliance, the studios were left scrambling to find a replacement. For a while, that replacement appeared to be Oscar winner Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club), who had been approached by the studios and, according to some sources, was keenly interested in the project. Now, according to Nikki Finke, however, Leto has opted to walk away from the film.
Finke, formerly of Deadline, reports that Leto met with director Julius Onah on Monday before deciding to turn down the lead role. For now, Noomi Rapace (the original Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) is the only actor attached to the project.
Brilliance, based on the book of the same name by Marcus Sakey, takes place in a world where one percent of the population are born with heightened cognitive abilities and called ‘brilliants.’ Leto would have starred as Nick Cooper, »
- Isaac Feldberg
Similar News ItemsUniversal Pictures [us]
- Crimson Peak: 15 Reasons To Be Excited (From Obsessed with Film. 9 October 2015, 1:22 PM, PDT)
- Hail Caesar! Has George Clooney, Channing Tatum and More—Watch the Trailer Now! (From E! Online. 9 October 2015, 12:04 PM, PDT)
- Hail Caesar trailer: The Coens return for an all-star comedy (From The Hollywood News. 9 October 2015, 10:26 AM, PDT)
Will Smith (I)
- Movie News: 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' Rumored to Add 'Beyond the Lights' Star (From Movies.com. 8 October 2015, 12:00 PM, PDT)
- Has Hunted taught us how to survive on the run? Well, tip barmaids and get a static caravan (From The Guardian - TV News. 8 October 2015, 6:46 AM, PDT)
- Will Smith Confirms 'Bad Boys 3' Is Coming Soon (From Fandango. 8 October 2015, 6:11 AM, PDT)
- Sequel Buzz: 'Alien: Paradise Lost' Plot Details; Plus: The Future of the 'Terminator' Franchise (From Movies.com. 8 October 2015, 1:30 PM, PDT)
- Scott On New "Alien" Character Additions (From Dark Horizons. 8 October 2015, 6:02 AM, PDT)
- Prometheus 2 Is Adding Some New Characters, Here's What We Know (From Cinema Blend. 7 October 2015, 3:21 PM, PDT)