How do you solve a problem like Gojira? How do you catch a beast and pin it down? How do you find a plot that means success? A flipping-big-beast! A monster-of-the-week! A flop!
There can be little doubting that for all it proved divisive among both the critics and the cheap seats, Gareth Edwards’ take on Godzilla proved an anti-climax. Hugely hyped on the back of a ferociously impressive trailer and the promise of a rendition more loyal to the origins of arguably cinema’s most famous destroyer of civilization, it arrived amidst fanfare and the emerged from the smoke as a three star tale of what could have been. Too little Heisenberg. Too much Kick Ass. Serious sensibilities but a silly story. As a corn popping exercise in excess it succeeded, but like Pacific Rim and King Kong before it, any resonant value was strictly aesthetic.
This is hardly new. »
- Scott Patterson
Similar News Items"Breaking Bad" (2008)
- ‘The Deuce’ Takes Aim at Cultural Impact of Modern Porn Biz (From Variety - TV News. 26 July 2017, 6:37 PM, PDT)
- HBO Sets Chernobyl Miniseries Starring Jared Harris from ‘Breaking Bad’ Director (From Indiewire. 26 July 2017, 3:19 PM, PDT)
- HBO Sets Chernobyl Miniseries Starring Jared Harris from ‘Breaking Bad’ Director (From Indiewire Television. 26 July 2017, 3:19 PM, PDT)
- New to Streaming: ‘The Lovers,’ ‘The Graduate,’ ‘Person to Person,’ ‘Obit,’ and More (From The Film Stage. 28 July 2017, 5:13 AM, PDT)
- Woody Harrelson is Lbj in first trailer for the Rob Reiner film (From JoBlo. 27 July 2017, 6:20 PM, PDT)
- 5 reasons to watch Before I Fall (From Cineplex. 27 July 2017, 2:02 PM, PDT)
- Doug Liman interview: The Wall, Bourne, Edge Of Tomorrow 2 (From Den of Geek. 28 July 2017, 8:33 AM, PDT)
- The Wall review (From Den of Geek. 28 July 2017, 3:00 AM, PDT)
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson Is Scottish Legend James Douglas In Netflix’s ‘Outlaw King’ (From Deadline. 27 July 2017, 10:42 AM, PDT)