How do you solve a problem like Gojira? How do you catch a beast and pin it down? How do you find a plot that means success? A flipping-big-beast! A monster-of-the-week! A flop!
There can be little doubting that for all it proved divisive among both the critics and the cheap seats, Gareth Edwards’ take on Godzilla proved an anti-climax. Hugely hyped on the back of a ferociously impressive trailer and the promise of a rendition more loyal to the origins of arguably cinema’s most famous destroyer of civilization, it arrived amidst fanfare and the emerged from the smoke as a three star tale of what could have been. Too little Heisenberg. Too much Kick Ass. Serious sensibilities but a silly story. As a corn popping exercise in excess it succeeded, but like Pacific Rim and King Kong before it, any resonant value was strictly aesthetic.
This is hardly new. »
- Scott Patterson
Similar News Items"Breaking Bad" (2008)
- Gold Derby's Emmy Dream Ballot: How will our picks compare to the actual winners?' (From Gold Derby. 23 August 2014, 12:15 PM, PDT)
- The Knick Recap: My Eyes Can’t Bear It (From Vulture. 23 August 2014, 10:03 AM, PDT)
- Allison and Adam Predict the 2014 Primetime Emmy Winners (From Collider.com. 23 August 2014, 9:23 AM, PDT)
- ‘Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul Signs First Look Deal With Sony TV (From The Wrap. 22 August 2014, 5:23 PM, PDT)
- Who are Emmy frontrunners (and spoilers) in top races? (Photo Gallery) (From Gold Derby. 22 August 2014, 11:21 AM, PDT)
- Emmys: 10 Ways 'Breaking Bad' Shocked in Final Season (From The Hollywood Reporter. 22 August 2014, 11:00 AM, PDT)
- "Avengers: Age Of Ultron" - 'Black Widow' and 'Captain America' (From SneakPeek. 22 August 2014, 4:35 PM, PDT)
- "Avengers: Age Of Ultron" - 'Quicksilver' (From SneakPeek. 22 August 2014, 3:27 PM, PDT)
- Watch the final battle from Godzilla (From Flickeringmyth. 21 August 2014, 11:30 PM, PDT)