The animated sequel opened to $50 million domestically and picked up in an additional $24.8 million from 26 international territories. However, going into the weekend some analysts had predicted that the film would open to north of $60 million. The company’s stock was down more than $3 on Monday morning, trading at $23.94.
While DreamWorks Animation has made steps to branch out into different areas of the media business, buying YouTube powerhouse AwesomenessTV and signing deals with Netflix for instance, the frosty reception from investors demonstrates its fortunes remain inexorably tied to the theatrical performance of a handful of films.
“The stock is definitely going to being volatile to opening weekends given that they only have three movies per year and they’re »
- Brent Lang
Similar News ItemsHow to Train Your Dragon (2010)
- Disney Last ‘Toon Giant Standing As DreamWorks Animation Offers $50M Settlement In Anti-Poaching Suit (From Deadline. 17 October 2016, 8:12 PM, PDT)
- See what kid-friendly monsters from the creature master Guillermo del Toro look like (From Hitfix. 30 September 2016, 4:13 PM, PDT)
- Jeffrey Katzenberg Pushed Forward the Careers of Mike Myers, Angelina Jolie, Justin Timberlake and More (From Variety - Film News. 29 September 2016, 10:00 AM, PDT)
DreamWorks Animation [us]
- Watch the Doctor Strange Red Carpet Premiere Live Stream (From MovieWeb. 20 October 2016, 3:59 PM, PDT)
- ‘How to Train Your Dragon 3,’ Margot Robbie’s ‘Larrikins’ Officially Move to Universal (From Variety - Film News. 19 October 2016, 4:56 PM, PDT)
- Andrew Adamson Directing Haunting Love Story for Amazon (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 19 October 2016, 3:31 PM, PDT)
Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011)
- Jeffrey Katzenberg Helped Advance the Hollywood Careers of Several Women (From Variety - Film News. 29 September 2016, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Horror Highlights: Guillermo del Toro Signed Memorabilia, Friday The 13th Pins, Fantastic Fest Shorts, Dr. West: A Reanimated Parody, As The Blade Cuts (From DailyDead. 13 September 2016, 8:20 AM, PDT)
- Morgan movie review: AI why? (From FlickFilosopher. 5 September 2016, 9:18 AM, PDT)