It was the battle of the sequels this weekend as the R-rated 22 Jump Street beat out the kid-friendly How To Train Your Dragon 2 at the Us box office.
22 Jump Street features Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum reprising their roles from the first movie and it took a very respectable $60 million (roughly) in just over 3,000 theatres. $25 million of that was from the Friday opening and the movie did drop to $18.7 million by Saturday.
However it was the clear winner of the weekend as, despite opening in more than 1,000 theatres more than 22 Jump Street, DreamWorks’ How To Train Your Dragon 2 came in second with an estimated $50 million. There could be some reprieve for DreamWorks as the first movie opened to $47.3 million when released in March 2010, but would gross over $500 million once word of mouth got around. It should also be noted that the Father’s Day opening in the global »
- Luke Owen
Similar News ItemsTom Cruise
- ‘Eyes Wide Shut’ Documentary ‘SK13’ in the Works From ‘Filmworker’ Director Tony Zierra (From Indiewire. 21 October 2017, 9:31 AM, PDT)
- Tony Zierra to Follow up ‘Filmworker’ with New Stanley Kubrick Doc about ‘Eyes Wide Shut’ (From Variety - Film News. 21 October 2017, 4:19 AM, PDT)
- Katie Holmes Debuts Stylish Pixie Cut for Fall -- See Her New 'Do! (From Entertainment Tonight. 20 October 2017, 10:13 AM, PDT)
- Channing Tatum And Wife Jenna Celebrate Halloween Early With Daughter Everly (From ET Canada. 22 October 2017, 7:16 AM, PDT)
- Channing Tatum and Wife Jenna Celebrate Halloween Early With Daughter Everly -- See the Pics! (From Entertainment Tonight. 21 October 2017, 8:10 PM, PDT)
- Harvey Weinstein Scandal Continues: Could He Face Charges Amid Further Allegations? (From Entertainment Tonight. 20 October 2017, 8:01 PM, PDT)
- ‘Sausage Party’s’ Conrad Vernon to Direct Animated ‘Addams Family’ Movie (From Variety - Film News. 12 October 2017, 5:24 PM, PDT)
- Now Casting: Netflix’s ‘Ronald’ Starring Emma Stone Needs 1940s Gala Guests + More (From Backstage. 10 October 2017, 11:30 AM, PDT)
- Meet Ana de Armas, the Actress Who's Quickly Rising Through the Hollywood Ranks (From Popsugar. 9 October 2017, 4:00 AM, PDT)