“The Fault in Our Stars” has become the biggest pre-selling romantic drama in Fandango’s history, as the adaptation of John Green’s best-selling novel prepares to break millions of moviegoers’ hearts this weekend.
The online ticketer did not say how many moviegoers have reserved a spot in theaters, but the film is out-pacing “The Vow,” “Safe Haven” and “Dear John” at the same point in their lead-ups to release. “The Vow,” a 2012 romance with Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams was the previous record-holder and opened to $41.2 million.
There is one important caveat: This group of romantic titles does not include the “Twilight” films, which Fandango characterizes as fantasy romances. Critics may use harsher descriptors.
“The Fault in Our Stars” features rising stars Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort and is projected to debut to more than $30 million this weekend. This “Love Story” for Millennials centers on two teenagers who meet »
- Brent Lang
Similar News ItemsChanning Tatum
- Non Story Of The Weekend: Channing Tatum And ‘Gambit’ (From Deadline. 1 August 2015, 3:06 PM, PDT)
- Channing Tatum Closes Deal on X-Men Spinoff ‘Gambit’ After Negotiations Hit Snag (From The Wrap. 1 August 2015, 1:57 PM, PDT)
- Channing Tatum Signs 'Gambit' Deal, Will Appear in 'X-Men' Movies (From MovieWeb. 1 August 2015, 12:32 PM, PDT)
- Insurgent Blu-ray Review (From The Hollywood News. 31 July 2015, 4:15 AM, PDT)
- Interview: Theo James on The Divergent Series: Insurgent (From Flickeringmyth. 31 July 2015, 2:30 AM, PDT)
- Watch: The Brilliant Brie Larson in ‘Room’ (From Backstage. 30 July 2015, 9:38 AM, PDT)
- Best of the Week: More Tom Cruise Movie Sequels, Fall Film Festival Guide and More (From Movies.com. 31 July 2015, 11:00 PM, PDT)
- Taylor Kitsch Makes a Ridiculously Handsome Red Carpet Appearance (From Popsugar. 31 July 2015, 12:55 PM, PDT)
- The week in comics: Rachel McAdams loves Neil Gaiman, Stephen Amell hates goatees (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 31 July 2015, 2:25 AM, PDT)