Paris– Winning one of Cannes’ significant bidding wars, Bac Films and Distrib Films have co-acquired French distribution rights to Scandinavian helmer Ruben Ostlund’s “Force Majeure,” a festival hit that won Un Certain Regard’s Jury prize.
Sold by Philippe Bober’s Coproduction Office, “Force Majeure” (“Turist”) is a tragicomic tale of a Swedish family weathering a crisis while on vacation at a ski resort. A sharp character study, “Force Majeure” starts out with a spectacular avalanche scene which reveals the family man’s cowardice (or self-preservation instincts) as he flees the scene, leaving his wife and children behind.
A buzzed-about and provocative Swedish helmer, Ostlund’ previously directed “Involuntary,” which premiered in Un Certain Regard in 2008, and was back in Cannes in 2011 with the controversial drama “Play” that screened at Directors Fortnight.
- Elsa Keslassy
Similar News ItemsMark Ruffalo
- Tales From the Oscar Luncheon: The Alternate ‘Stepbrothers’ Ending, Mark Ruffalo’s Silence Retreat (From Variety - Film News. 12 February 2016, 12:12 PM, PST)
- Thor: Ragnarok rumour suggests a major death (From Flickeringmyth. 12 February 2016, 10:40 AM, PST)
- Who’s expected at the Ee British Academy Film Awards 2016? Full list here! (From The Hollywood News. 11 February 2016, 1:13 PM, PST)
- Berlin Film Review: ‘Boris Without Beatrice’ (From Variety - Film News. 12 February 2016, 1:30 PM, PST)
- More Details About Michael Haneke’s 'Happy End' Revealed, Filming Begins This Summer (From The Playlist. 12 February 2016, 6:05 AM, PST)
- Michael Haneke’s 'Happy End' launches at Efm (From ScreenDaily. 11 February 2016, 9:00 PM, PST)
- George Clooney, Meryl Streep, Josh Brolin Open Berlin Film Festival (From Variety - Film News. 11 February 2016, 1:47 PM, PST)
- Berlin: Strong Fare, New Players May Fuel Market (From Variety - Film News. 10 February 2016, 1:00 PM, PST)
- Errol Morris, Wim Wenders executive-produce drones doc (From ScreenDaily. 9 February 2016, 11:21 PM, PST)