London — The surge in support for the U.K. Independence Party — demonstrated at the European Union election last week — may have major consequences for the British film and TV industry.
UKIP, which advocates an exit from the European Union, took first place among British parties in the EU election, the results of which were just announced. It is the first time a party other than the Conservatives or Labor Party has come first in a national election for 100 years.
The Ukip vote surged 11% to nab 27.5% of the votes cast, compared with 25.4% for Labor, and 23.9% for the Conservatives, which forms part of the coalition government with the Liberal Democrats, whose support fell 6.87%, leaving it with just 6.87% of the vote.
There is a double threat to EU membership posed by the Ukip surge. First, if Ukip wins next May’s general election, then the U.K. will definitely leave the EU. Second, »
- Leo Barraclough
Similar News ItemsChannel 4 [gb]
- Film4 FrightFest 2015 Short Film Lineup Announced (From DailyDead. 30 July 2015, 9:05 AM, PDT)
- What to Watch: Tonight's TV Picks - Flockstars, Prince Philip, Banshee (From Digital Spy - TV news. 30 July 2015, 6:35 AM, PDT)
- Why the BBC would never broadcast Prince Philip: the Plot to Make a King (From The Guardian - TV News. 30 July 2015, 6:32 AM, PDT)
Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
- Aamir Khan’s ‘Pk’ Heads for September Release in Korea (From Variety - Film News. 30 July 2015, 12:33 AM, PDT)
- UK Readers: Win 2 Tickets to see Ar Rahman at The O2 – 15th August (From Bollyspice. 30 July 2015, 12:00 AM, PDT)
- Toronto: Festival Slate Brings Fall Landscape Into Focus (From Variety - Film News. 28 July 2015, 11:36 AM, PDT)
The Iron Lady (2011)
- Ricki and the Flash Shocker: Meryl’s Playing a Republican! (From Vulture. 30 July 2015, 9:56 AM, PDT)
- New 'Suffragette' Poster Art Featuring Mulligan, Streep and Carter (From Rope Of Silicon. 14 July 2015, 7:17 AM, PDT)
- Jackson Returns! Two-Time Oscar Winner and Former Labour MP to Star in Zola Adaptation (From Alt Film Guide. 2 July 2015, 4:06 PM, PDT)