London — The surge in support for the U.K. Independence Party — demonstrated at the European Union election last week — may have major consequences for the British film and TV industry.
UKIP, which advocates an exit from the European Union, took first place among British parties in the EU election, the results of which were just announced. It is the first time a party other than the Conservatives or Labor Party has come first in a national election for 100 years.
The Ukip vote surged 11% to nab 27.5% of the votes cast, compared with 25.4% for Labor, and 23.9% for the Conservatives, which forms part of the coalition government with the Liberal Democrats, whose support fell 6.87%, leaving it with just 6.87% of the vote.
There is a double threat to EU membership posed by the Ukip surge. First, if Ukip wins next May’s general election, then the U.K. will definitely leave the EU. Second, »
- Leo Barraclough
Similar News ItemsChannel 4 [gb]
- The Voice UK rises to 8.5 million viewers on BBC One (From Digital Spy - TV news. 1 February 2015, 6:25 AM, PST)
- What to Watch: Tonight's TV Picks - Super Bowl, Last Tango in Halifax (From Digital Spy - TV news. 1 February 2015, 4:30 AM, PST)
- The Jump secrets: Nervous vomit, girl power & Celebrity Suicide Watch (From Digital Spy - TV news. 1 February 2015, 1:00 AM, PST)
Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
- Watch These 9 Best Picture-Winning Indies On Demand Before Oscar Night (From Indiewire. 30 January 2015, 1:02 PM, PST)
- “American Sniper” and “Whiplash”: Best Picture nominees on opposite sides of the box office spectrum (From Hollywoodnews.com. 29 January 2015, 11:19 AM, PST)
- Danny Boyle’s Steve Jobs biopic begins production, full cast announced (From Flickeringmyth. 29 January 2015, 2:19 AM, PST)
The Iron Lady (2011)
- Oscars: 3 Degrees of Meryl Streep (or, What Every Acting Nominee Has in Common) (From The Hollywood Reporter. 26 January 2015, 7:58 PM, PST)
- ‘Birdman’ Wins Best Cast in a Movie at SAG Awards (From Variety - Film News. 25 January 2015, 3:53 PM, PST)
- SAG-o-Metrics: Predicting the Acting Oscars Based on SAG Nominations (Infographic) (From PEOPLE.com. 23 January 2015, 5:40 AM, PST)