As a celebration of the unprecedented number of Canadian films that competed for the Palme d'Or at the 2014 Cannes International Film Festival, Moviefone Canada is highlighting each of these works.
When Nicholas Winding Refn's "Drive" hit theatres, it startled many moviegoers that had pegged Ryan Gosling as just another in a long line of pretty-boy actors -- sympathetic with clearly defined abs, but a performer who picked relatively safe projects to delve into.
For those paying a closer attention, it was his compelling turn in "Lars And The Real Girl," a tale of a man that falls in love with an anatomically accurate doll, that showed the slightly off-kilter direction that he was heading in.
His previous film with Refn, "Only God Forgives," bowed last Cannes and split the opinion of critics; some lauded it as a masterpiece, some saw it as an indulgent if pretty-to-look-at mess.
Critics were equally split with "Lost River, »
- Jason Gorber
Similar News ItemsRyan Gosling
- Emma Stone Hosts SNL: Watch Video of the Best and Worst Sketches (From TVLine.com. 4 December 2016, 4:42 AM, PST)
- 2017 Oscar Predictions: Best Director (From Thompson on Hollywood. 3 December 2016, 4:15 PM, PST)
- 2017 Oscar Predictions: Best Director (From Indiewire. 3 December 2016, 4:15 PM, PST)
- La La Land leads the nominations for the 2016 Critics’ Choice Awards (From Flickeringmyth. 3 December 2016, 3:51 AM, PST)
- The 2017 Critics Choice Awards nominations are in (From The Hollywood News. 1 December 2016, 11:45 PM, PST)
- Adam Nayman on the Confusion and Carnage of Ben Wheatley (From The Film Stage. 1 December 2016, 1:00 PM, PST)
Matt Smith (XI)
- Doctor Who: revisiting each Doctor's first encounter with the Daleks (From Den of Geek. 1 December 2016, 2:16 PM, PST)
- Jessica Rothe To Star In MGM’s Musical Adaptation Of ‘Valley Girl’ (From Deadline. 29 November 2016, 1:10 PM, PST)
- Modern tribes: the box set bore (From The Guardian - TV News. 26 November 2016, 12:00 AM, PST)