Race and wrestling go together like peanut butter and jelly. When it works, Caucasian wrestler Sputnik Monroe becomes the Memphis territory’s most beloved of babyfaces by advocating for African-American fans to be allowed into buildings in order to watch him perform in the 1960s. When it doesn’t, there’s Tony Atlas as a stereotypical spear wielding African savage in the early 1990s as Saba Simba. Somewhere between these two concepts is the WWF’s Nation of Domination.
Started in 1996 as an appropriation as an angle from Memphis meant to get some steam behind Ron Simmons’ re-tooled Faarooq character, the Nation of Islam knockoff lasted for two years in the WWF, and moreso than any level of racial disharmony, the group provided an incredible springboard to create new stars like D’Lo Brown, Mark Henry, Kama (later The Godfather) and of course, The Rock.
Thus, when rumours »
- Marcus K. Dowling
Similar News ItemsMark Henry (I)
- WWE's Mark Henry -- I Need Rick Ross' Help ... To Kick Some Ass (From TMZ. 23 February 2015, 2:19 PM, PST)
- WWE 2K15: Hall Of Pain Dlc To Be Released February 17 (From Obsessed with Film. 10 February 2015, 2:20 AM, PST)
- WWE 2K15: ‘One More Match’ Dlc & Update Patch 1.03 Available Now! (From Obsessed with Film. 4 February 2015, 6:20 AM, PST)
Somewhere Between (2011)
- Big Sean Goes ‘Waaaay Up’ (Literally) in the Video for ‘Blessings’ With Drake and Kanye (From Vulture. 3 March 2015, 12:53 PM, PST)
- March VOD Releases Include It Follows, Backcountry, Spring (From DailyDead. 1 March 2015, 11:00 AM, PST)
- Five Women Directors Discuss Their Art and Craft at the Berlin Film Festival (From Filmmaker Magazine. 20 February 2015, 9:05 AM, PST)
Ron Simons (I)
- Gotham Awards 2014. The Winners... (From FilmExperience. 1 December 2014, 3:39 PM, PST)
- 10 Things WWE Wants You To Forget About John Bradshaw Layfield (From Obsessed with Film. 8 September 2014, 1:26 PM, PDT)
- 10 WWE Face Turns That Ultimately Failed (From Obsessed with Film. 7 August 2014, 6:07 AM, PDT)