Cannes — The reception for funding body Medienboard Berlin-Brandenburg, hosted by its managing director of film funding Kirsten Niehuus, in Cannes Monday brought together many of the international filmmakers whose pics it has backed. She spoke to Variety about the importance of the festival to the German funding body’s work.
Six of the films it has backed play in the festival, and the directors of several of those joined the reception, including “Amour fou” helmer Jessica Hausner, “White God” director Kornel Mundruczo, and “The Wonders” helmer Alice Rohrwacher (pictured, above left, with Niehuus).
Speaking to Variety, Niehuus commented on the value of Cannes to Medienboard. “Cannes is one of the major festivals for film art, for film culture, and we, as a fund, do from artistic films to mainstream films, and Cannes is one of the most important marketplaces to show the excellence of filmmakers,” she said. “We feel we »
- Leo Barraclough
Similar News ItemsWes Anderson (I)
- NYC Weekend Watch: Marlene Dietrich, Marcello Mastroianni, ‘The Man Who Fell to Earth’ & More (From The Film Stage. 25 May 2017, 5:18 PM, PDT)
- 70th Cannes Film Festival Review – The Meyerowitz Stories (2017) (From Flickeringmyth. 24 May 2017, 5:45 AM, PDT)
- Cannes Review: ‘The Killing of a Sacred Deer’ is Pure and Simple Sadism (From The Film Stage. 22 May 2017, 12:14 PM, PDT)
Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
- Annabelle: Creation and The Beguiled to Screen at La Film Festival 2017 (From DailyDead. 23 May 2017, 12:01 PM, PDT)
- Wes Anderson: New Video Essay Explores the Filmmaker’s Portrayal of Children — Watch (From Indiewire. 5 May 2017, 9:04 AM, PDT)
- Great Job, Internet!: The wise children and immature adults of the Wes Anderson universe (From The AV Club. 4 May 2017, 1:07 PM, PDT)
- Cannes: Medienboard Toasts Festival Films ‘Jupiter’s Moon,’ ‘Western’ (From Variety - Film News. 25 May 2017, 6:45 AM, PDT)
- ‘Resident Evil’ Franchise To Get Reboot Just Months After It Ended (From Uinterview. 23 May 2017, 4:20 PM, PDT)
- How the Cannes Market Lost Its Mojo (From Variety - Film News. 22 May 2017, 9:15 PM, PDT)