Forget 1998's ridiculous Roland Emmerich reboot. Forget the Godzooky-marred Hanna Barbera cartoon. Forget even 1968's ultimate creature feature Destroy All Monsters, great though it is. The real yardstick against which Gareth Edwards's forthcoming Godzilla movie should be judged is the 60-year-old original.
Even then, it's worth noting that there are really two incarnations of Ishirō Honda's 1954 film. For years, the better-known version was the Hollywood re-edit, Godzilla, King Of The Monsters! which added new scenes starring Raymond Burr to cater for American audiences. But today the unaltered Japanese version, Gojira, finds greater support.
Whichever version you favour, the star of the show is the oversized lizard unleashed by a nuclear explosion. The monster's native name, Gojira, is a portmanteau of two Japanese words, gorira and kujira which, when combined, mean 'gorilla whale.' That description freed the imagination of art director Akira Watanabe, who also threw in elements of »
Similar News ItemsStar Wars (1977)
- The Week in Star Wars – Episode VIII begins filming, Ewan McGregor in talks to star and more (From Flickeringmyth. 14 February 2016, 2:00 AM, PST)
- Berlin: ‘Tracer’ Keeps Korea’s Cj on Track of Success in Vietnam (From Variety - Film News. 13 February 2016, 7:00 PM, PST)
- 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' Is Getting Its Own Force Friday This September (From MovieWeb. 13 February 2016, 2:58 PM, PST)
- "Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice" - More New Footage (From SneakPeek. 13 February 2016, 1:45 PM, PST)
- Warner Bros May Be Very Worried About Batman v. Superman Due To Early Viewing Responses (From Cinelinx. 13 February 2016, 8:57 AM, PST)
- Warners & DC Film Plans May Be Revised? (From Dark Horizons. 13 February 2016, 8:27 AM, PST)
- Berlinale ’16: ‘War On Everyone’ review (From The Hollywood News. 12 February 2016, 11:42 PM, PST)
- Introducing Jane (From FilmExperience. 12 February 2016, 6:30 PM, PST)
- Transformers 6 Plans To Try Something Totally Different (From Cinema Blend. 12 February 2016, 1:51 PM, PST)