Pablo Fendrik’s “El Ardor,” an Amazon-set Western action adventure and Participant Media’s first investment under its Participant PanAmerica initiative, will play as a Special Screening at this year’s Cannes Festival.
The third feature from Fendrik, whose “Blood Appears” played Cannes’ Critics’ Week, “El Ardor” stars Gael Garcia Bernal as an Amazon rainforest settler, Kai, who befriends a tobacco farmer and his beautiful daughter (Alice Braga). When a band of brutal mercenaries slaughter the father and kidnap the daughter, Kai sets out to rescue her.
In both Fendrik’s move into more mainstream filmmaking and the film’s financing structure, which takes in regional co-production plus funding from the U.S. and Europe, “El Ardor” reps a step up in scale and ambition for Latin America. Variety talked with Fendrik in the run-up to Cannes.
Variety: “El Ardor” is a Western, and classic Hollywood Westerns often had a theme of civilizing the wild. »
- John Hopewell
Similar News ItemsGael García Bernal
- Review: Amazon's 'Mozart in the Jungle' gets in tune over time (From Hitfix. 23 December 2014, 8:17 AM, PST)
- ‘Mozart In The Jungle’ Draws More Strong Reviews For Amazon (From Tubefilter News. 23 December 2014, 7:59 AM, PST)
- Jason Schwartzman & Roman Coppola’s New Series ‘Mozart in the Jungle’ Debuts Today (From Hollywonk. 22 December 2014, 12:56 PM, PST)
Diego Luna (I)
- Lionsgate Buys Mel Gibson’s ‘Blood Father’ for U.S. Release (From Variety - Film News. 9 December 2014, 4:30 PM, PST)
- Mel Gibson's 'Blood Father' to Be Acquired by Lionsgate (From The Hollywood Reporter. 9 December 2014, 4:06 PM, PST)
- Mel Gibson’s ‘Blood Father’ Being Acquired For U.S. By Lionsgate (From Deadline New York. 9 December 2014, 3:12 PM, PST)
- Simon Pegg is a hitman in Nsfw Kill Me Three Times trailer (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 22 December 2014, 6:47 AM, PST)
- Everybody Wants a Shot in Kill Me Three Times (From Filmonic. 21 December 2014, 12:00 PM, PST)
- USA Picks Up Mr. Robot Giving Christian Slater Yet Another TV Shot (From AreYouScreening. 19 December 2014, 1:03 PM, PST)