Cinematographer Matthew Libatique has collaborated with Darren Aronofsky on all of his features save “The Wrestler.” This includes “Black Swan,” for which Libatique earned an Oscar nomination, and Aronofsky’s latest, “Noah,” a fanciful take on the Old Testament patriarch who built the ark.
The d.p. has repeated projects with Spike Lee (“Inside Man,” “Miracle at St. Anna”), Jon Favreau (the first two “Iron Man” films, “Cowboys & Aliens) and Joel Schumacher (“Tigerland,” “Phone Booth”). We spoke with Libatique, who will be participating in a cinematography master class on April 26 at the Newport Beach Film Festival, about “Noah,” the process and director/d.p. dynamics. This is an edited version of the conversation.
The setting and look of “Noah” suggests both a pre-civilized and post-apocalyptic world. What was your aesthetic approach in achieving this?
It was a focus on naturalism. The film ultimately goes in a place where you’re »
- Steve Chagollan
Similar News ItemsIron Man (2008)
- Merry Christmas! Enjoy The Avengers Singing You Christmas Carols To Celebrate (From ComicBookMovie. 25 December 2014, 11:49 AM, PST)
- Why Tony Stark Isn't The Only Avenger Responsible For Ultron (From Cinema Blend. 24 December 2014, 8:34 PM, PST)
- "Avengers: Age Of Ultron" - Close On 'Scarlet Witch' (From SneakPeek. 24 December 2014, 3:00 PM, PST)
Black Swan (2010)
- A Number of Oscar-Nominated Films Center on Performers or Feature Performance Elements (From Scott Feinberg. 24 December 2014, 8:34 AM, PST)
- Darren Aronofsky to Receive Motion Picture Sound Editors’ Filmmaker Award (From Variety - Film News. 22 December 2014, 12:58 PM, PST)
- Weekend Report (cont.): Final 'Night at the Museum' Narrowly Tops 'Annie' (From BoxOfficeMojo.com. 21 December 2014, 12:24 PM, PST)
- Why Hollywood Isn’t Freaking Over Bummer 2014 Box Office (From The Wrap. 23 December 2014, 5:56 PM, PST)
- Joey Paur's 15 Favorite Movies of 2014 (From GeekTyrant. 23 December 2014, 12:10 PM, PST)
- Top Ten Movies of 2014 (From Rope Of Silicon. 23 December 2014, 8:15 AM, PST)