There are, essentially, two different worlds in cinema. In one, it is about art and original storytelling – the expression of unique ideas and voices for the purpose of thought-provoking entertainment. In the other, it is specifically designed to make money. The former gives us films such as Donnie Darko, Whip It and Being John Malkovich. The latter gives us Transformers: Age of Extinction.
Occasionally, a rare individual demonstrates the possibility of crossing that divide, and participates in projects that – sometimes - have feet in both camps. Alfonso Cuaron can do it. The Coen Brothers can do it. Tom Hanks can do it. And sometimes, believe it or not, Kevin Costner can do it, too.
There are some less than fragrant titles on Kevin Costner’s resume – as you would expect from an actor whose breakout role happened almost thirty years ago, in Silverado. The difference between Costner and most other long-serving filmmakers, »
- Sarah Myles
Similar News ItemsMan of Steel (2013)
- 'Batman v Superman: Ultimate Edition' Review: The Cleaner, More Cohesive Version Fans Deserve (From LatinoReview. 30 June 2016, 1:39 PM, PDT)
- Max Landis Releasing New Comic Series with Skybound and Image (From Variety - Film News. 30 June 2016, 12:01 PM, PDT)
- New International Posters for 'Suicide Squad' (From LatinoReview. 29 June 2016, 8:13 PM, PDT)
- How the ‘Swiss Army Man’ Directors Went From Working With Lil Jon to Daniel Radcliffe (From Indiewire. 30 June 2016, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- Film Review: ‘The Purge: Election Year’ (From Variety - Film News. 29 June 2016, 6:00 AM, PDT)
- Want to direct horror films? Shudder Labs is here to kickstart your nightmares (From Hitfix. 28 June 2016, 2:05 PM, PDT)
- Why Daniel Radcliffe Deserves an Oscar For ‘Swiss Army Man’ (From Indiewire. 1 July 2016, 5:17 AM, PDT)
- Swiss Army Man – Review (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 30 June 2016, 10:16 PM, PDT)
- TV News Roundup: Matt Passmore Visits ‘Roadies,’ ‘Harry Potter’ Star Tom Felton Joins ‘The Flash’ (From Variety - TV News. 30 June 2016, 3:07 PM, PDT)