China’s online video giants are increasing investment in original content, from microfilms and web serials to feature films, in a bid to keep viewers in a fast-growing but increasingly competitive market.
Speaking on a panel at Filmart yesterday, Youku Tudou senior vice president Allen Zhu explained how the company has started investing directly in features such as action thriller Firestorm and upcoming comedy Old Boys: The Way Of The Dragon.
Since 2012, Youku has also worked with the Hkiff on the Beautiful omnibus films. “We are able to observe audience behavior through big data technology so we can see where we should invest,” Zhu said.
Co-produced by Youku, Le Vision Pictures and Ruyi Films, Old Boys is based on Xiao Yang and Wang Taili’s hit microfilm and will receive a theatrical release in June.
Le Vision Pictures is a subsidiary of another online video platform, LeTV, highlighting the trend of Chinese internet companies moving into production »
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Liz Shackleton)
Similar News ItemsCaptain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
- Marvel’s Daredevil series will hit Netflix in May 2015 (From Flickeringmyth. 28 July 2014, 3:05 AM, PDT)
- Maleficent hits $700 million at the worldwide box office (From Flickeringmyth. 28 July 2014, 2:02 AM, PDT)
- Sdcc '14: Avengers: Age Of Ultron & Ant-man Footage Sounds Good To Me (From ComicBookMovie. 27 July 2014, 5:06 PM, PDT)
On the Road (2012)
- Beyoncé Shares Photo of Herself as Rosie the Riveter—Check Out the Ultimate Feminist Photo! (From E! Online. 22 July 2014, 11:26 AM, PDT)
- Colin Farrell In Talks For True Detective Season 2, Taylor Kitsch Also Eyed (From We Got This Covered. 11 July 2014, 10:40 AM, PDT)
- Kirsten Dunst Talks Child Stars: "The Transition Doesn't Happen To Many Of Us" (From TooFab. 8 July 2014, 3:30 PM, PDT)
The Way of the Dragon (1972)
- ‘Transformers’ Leads Foreign Box Office With $102 Million (From Variety - Film News. 13 July 2014, 3:56 PM, PDT)
- China video sites boost production (From ScreenDaily. 24 March 2014, 5:01 PM, PDT)
- China Video Giant Youku Backs ‘Old Boys’ Feature (From Variety - Film News. 10 January 2014, 1:04 AM, PST)