As we continue to move forward through the list, let us consider: how do you define an original screenplay? In theory, everything is based on something. Woody Allen’s Blue Jasmine is basically a modern A Streetcar Named Desire. But, somehow, Jasmine is classified as an original screenplay. When a film is wholly original, nothing like it had been done before, and others have tried to copy it since. Plenty of original screenplays (some in this list) take on tired genres, but flip the script. But the ones that really catch the audience by surprise are the ones that feel imaginative, creative, and different.
40. Spirited Away (2001)
Written by Hayao Miyazaki
That’s a good start! Once you’ve met someone, you never really forget them. It just takes a while for your memories to return.
- Joshua Gaul
Similar News ItemsSteven Spielberg
- TV Review: ‘The Whispers’ (From Variety - TV News. 29 May 2015, 8:30 AM, PDT)
- 'Jaws' Heading Back to Theaters for 40th Anniversary (From Rolling Stone. 29 May 2015, 6:53 AM, PDT)
- Watch: 2 Clips And TV Spot From 'Jurassic World' Deal With A Deadly Dinosaur (From The Playlist. 29 May 2015, 6:25 AM, PDT)
- Brad Peyton interview: San Andreas, The Rock, Statham, Star Wars (From Den of Geek. 28 May 2015, 1:19 PM, PDT)
- M. Night Shyamalan Open To An Unbreakable Sequel On Netflix Or HBO (From We Got This Covered. 27 May 2015, 5:45 PM, PDT)
- M. Night Shyamalan Has the Craziest Idea for an 'Unbreakable' Sequel (From Movies.com. 27 May 2015, 3:00 PM, PDT)
- Smackdown Summer - Revamp Your Queues! (From FilmExperience. 29 May 2015, 5:03 AM, PDT)
- Jesse Eisenberg is a stoner on a quest to save Kristen Stewart in American Ultra teaser (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 28 May 2015, 12:14 PM, PDT)
- Watch: Jesse Eisenberg And Kristen Stewart Go On In The Run In Red Band Trailer For 'American Ultra' (From The Playlist. 28 May 2015, 8:34 AM, PDT)