We’re less than two weeks away from the Oscars, and that means it’s once again time for my favorite activity: griping about the past!
One of my biggest Oscar pet peeves is when actors who portray real-life roles garner more attention — for no good reason — than actors who portray fictional characters. The Academy has long been too pleased with big-named thespians who prove they can imitate recognizable figures. Sometimes the attention is justified (Sean Penn in Milk and Marion Cotillard in La Vie en Rose come to mind), but often real-life roles become filler nominees in the supporting categories. Here are nine examples of Oscar-nominated performances that caught fire with the academy simply for being based on a known personality.
Melvin and Howard is a movie that teaches you to appreciate its examination of a Utah man’s humdrum lower-middle-class existence, »
- Louis Virtel
Similar News ItemsChristian Bale
- Newswire: Hostiles to host a 3:10 To Yuma reunion with Ben Foster and Christian Bale (From The AV Club. 28 July 2016, 10:23 AM, PDT)
- Jessica Chastain in Talks for ‘The Division,’ Oprah Winfrey Reteams with Ava DuVernay, & More (From The Film Stage. 28 July 2016, 8:59 AM, PDT)
- Shooting Is Underway On Scott Cooper’s Hostiles As Ben Foster Joins Star-Studded Cast (From We Got This Covered. 27 July 2016, 1:14 PM, PDT)
- Weekend Box Office Preview: ‘Jason Bourne’ Returns, ‘Bad Moms’ Could Surprise (From Indiewire. 28 July 2016, 2:30 PM, PDT)
- Playwright David Auburn in Talks for ‘Charlie’s Angels’ Reboot (From Variety - Film News. 27 July 2016, 11:30 AM, PDT)
- 21 Ways Miss Congeniality Is Still Your Favorite Movie Ever (From BuzzSugar. 26 July 2016, 9:30 AM, PDT)
- The genius of Roth by Anne-Katrin Titze (From eyeforfilm.co.uk. 29 July 2016, 8:21 AM, PDT)
- Mel Gibson’s ‘Hacksaw Ridge’ Emerges as Surprise Awards Contender (From Indiewire. 28 July 2016, 12:53 PM, PDT)
- Venice Film Festival Lineup Includes Mel Gibson, Damian Chazelle, Terrence Malick (From The Wrap. 28 July 2016, 9:42 AM, PDT)