Without the crutch of voiceover narration, directly conveying mental behaviors and particularly pathologies through cinema is a formidable endeavor, one often better left to the printed word.
Respectably, French auteur Arnaud Desplechin (A Christmas Tale) introduces Freud to Sisyphus with this bone-dry yet oddly absorbing procedural, a cathartic, talky two-hander between "soul-sick" Native American Blackfoot James Picard (Benicio Del Toro as an alcoholic, shell-shocked WWII veteran prone to debilitating headaches and sight loss) and French-American ethnologist and analyst Georges Devereux (Mathieu Amalric) in a 1948 Topeka, Kansas, clinic.
Loosely structured like a two-hour abridgement of what the real-life Devereux chronicled in his book-length case study Re »
Similar News ItemsBenicio Del Toro
- Sarajevo fest to honour Atom Egoyan (From ScreenDaily. 30 July 2015, 5:24 AM, PDT)
- New Trailer for Sicario Thriller, with Emily Blunt and Josh Brolin (From Worst Previews. 29 July 2015, 10:47 PM, PDT)
- Denis Villeneuve’s ‘Sicario’ gets a new trailer ahead of Tiff ’15 (From SoundOnSight. 28 July 2015, 8:21 PM, PDT)
- Mexican Oscar-Winning Filmmaker to Head Top Venice Jury: 3D Disaster Thriller to Open Fest (From Alt Film Guide. 28 July 2015, 2:28 PM, PDT)
- Tiff ’15: ‘Families’ trailer shows a rom-com farce for a ‘Grand Budapest Hotel’ star (From SoundOnSight. 28 July 2015, 8:52 AM, PDT)
- Toronto to open with 'Demolition'; world premieres for 'Trumbo', 'The Program' (From ScreenDaily. 28 July 2015, 8:45 AM, PDT)
- Auteur Hour: Kent Jones on Hitchcock/Truffaut (t) (From Fandor: Keyframe (t). 4 July 2015, 9:52 PM, PDT)
- Auteur Hour: Kent Jones on Hitchcock/Truffaut (From Keyframe. 4 July 2015, 9:52 PM, PDT)
- Jerusalem Film Festival Unveils Full Lineup (From Variety - Film News. 23 June 2015, 11:52 AM, PDT)