Just in case anyone doubted “The Walking Dead” could continue the ratings surge its fourth season experienced last year, the staggering numbers AMC posted Sunday night should put any skepticism to rest. If beating everything in broadcast and cable in the 18-49 demographic was starting to seem anticlimactic at this point, the drama series managed to top the Olympics, too.
Because the word “hit” has been overused to the point of utter meaninglessness in the TV industry, it’s easy to overlook that we are witnessing an honest-to-god phenomenon in our midst. But make no mistake: “Walking” has a freakishly huge audience. Which begs a simple question: why?
Stifle the urge to retort, “It’s the zombies, stupid”; “Walking” is actually about as improbable a megahit as the TV industry has ever produced.
To simply chalk up the success of “Walking” to the viability of the horror genre is to misunderstand the show. »
- Andrew Wallenstein
Similar News Items"The Walking Dead" (2010)
- First trailer for Life Is Strange, from makers of Remember Me (From Den of Geek. 18 December 2014, 1:31 AM, PST)
- Walking With The Dead: The Walking Dead Podcast S5E3 – Four Walls And A Roof (From Film-Book. 18 December 2014, 12:28 AM, PST)
- Walking With The Dead: The Walking Dead Podcast S5E2 – Strangers (From Film-Book. 18 December 2014, 12:08 AM, PST)
"Breaking Bad" (2008)
- 14 comics from 2014 that should be movies (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 18 December 2014, 1:30 AM, PST)
- "Star Wars" Nearly Ruined Natalie Portman (From Dark Horizons. 17 December 2014, 10:38 AM, PST)
- Krypton, Gotham and the glut of TV prequels (From Den of Geek. 17 December 2014, 9:43 AM, PST)
Andrew Lincoln (I)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Spin-Off Heads To Hollywood (From The Hollywood News. 16 December 2014, 1:47 PM, PST)
- 'Walking Dead' Spinoff Will Be Set in Los Angeles (From MovieWeb. 16 December 2014, 8:17 AM, PST)
- 'Walking Dead': Is Rick Too Far Gone? (From The Hollywood Reporter. 12 December 2014, 11:00 AM, PST)