Updated: It’s likely that a number of executives at a few choice toon studios across town are green with envy after the success of Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow’s modestly budgeted franchise starter, “The Lego Movie.”
Assembling a number of industry and studio records, Warner’s $60 million-budgeted animated hit “The Lego Movie” scored a stellar estimated $69.1 million domestically in its first weekend, making it the biggest opening in February for an animated movie, as well as Warner’s best toon debut ever.
More importantly, the film, which Village Roadshow co-financed and co-produced, also thumbs the current model of pricey animation limiting any guarantee of financial success.
“The Lego Movie,” on the other hand, successfully managed to leverage an already globally popular brand and cross over with adult audiences, considering nearly 60% of its opening came from filmgoers older than 18. Ultimately, the pic’s fanboy component will help it weather the East Coast blizzards, »
- Andrew Stewart
Similar News ItemsGeorge Clooney
- SXSW: Robert Rodriguez's TV Debut 'From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series' Is Uneven But Heavy On Attitude (From Indiewire. 9 March 2014, 1:16 PM, PDT)
- Stacy Keibler Wedding 2014 - George Clooney's Ex Marries Jared Pobre (From National Ledger. 9 March 2014, 8:23 AM, PDT)
- Stacy Keibler Marries on the Rebound -- George Clooney ... Doesn't (From TMZ. 9 March 2014, 7:25 AM, PDT)
- Project Greenlight Producer Chris Moore Remembers the Show, Matt, Ben, and Breakout Star Shia Labeouf (From Vulture. 6 March 2014, 6:52 AM, PST)
- Late-Night Wars: The New Gauge of Success (From The Hollywood Reporter. 6 March 2014, 5:00 AM, PST)
- Terry Gilliam’s The Zero Theorem Set For Release This Summer (From We Got This Covered. 5 March 2014, 6:13 PM, PST)
Warner Bros. [us]
- Box Office: '300: Rise of an Empire' leads the charge with $45.1 million (From Hitfix. 9 March 2014, 12:23 PM, PDT)
- '300' Sequel Conquers Box Office This Weekend (From BoxOfficeMojo.com. 9 March 2014, 12:10 PM, PDT)
- '300: Rise of an Empire’ Storms Overseas Box Office With $88 Million (From The Wrap. 9 March 2014, 11:41 AM, PDT)