Updated: It’s likely that a number of executives at a few choice toon studios across town are green with envy after the success of Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow’s modestly budgeted franchise starter, “The Lego Movie.”
Assembling a number of industry and studio records, Warner’s $60 million-budgeted animated hit “The Lego Movie” scored a stellar estimated $69.1 million domestically in its first weekend, making it the biggest opening in February for an animated movie, as well as Warner’s best toon debut ever.
More importantly, the film, which Village Roadshow co-financed and co-produced, also thumbs the current model of pricey animation limiting any guarantee of financial success.
“The Lego Movie,” on the other hand, successfully managed to leverage an already globally popular brand and cross over with adult audiences, considering nearly 60% of its opening came from filmgoers older than 18. Ultimately, the pic’s fanboy component will help it weather the East Coast blizzards, »
- Andrew Stewart
Similar News ItemsWarner Bros. [us]
- DeMario Jackson Parties with Hot Chicks After Being Cleared in Sexual Assault Investigation (From TMZ. 24 June 2017, 12:43 PM, PDT)
- DC Wants To Start Making 3 To 4 Superhero Films Per Year (From We Got This Covered. 24 June 2017, 10:51 AM, PDT)
- ‘Blade Runner’ Turns 35: The Unloved Film That Became a Classic (From Variety - Film News. 24 June 2017, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- Exclusive: George Clooney Preaches the Importance of Recycling in New Nespresso Ad -- Watch! (From Entertainment Tonight. 23 June 2017, 5:49 PM, PDT)
- Exclusive: Rande Gerber on the Clooney Twins: They're the 'Perfect Mix of George and Amal' (From Entertainment Tonight. 23 June 2017, 4:37 PM, PDT)
- Is George Clooney Ready To Retire From Acting After Birth Of Baby Twins? (From HollywoodLife. 22 June 2017, 7:46 PM, PDT)
- Chris Paul Befriends Little Girl with Scoliosis, We Got the Same Doc! (From TMZ. 22 June 2017, 11:39 AM, PDT)
- Oscars at the Halfway Mark: ‘Logan,’ ‘Get Out’ and Women Directors (From Variety - Film News. 22 June 2017, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- Cannes Winning Best Actor and Lanthimos' Quirky 'Family' Thriller Academy Award Chances? (From Alt Film Guide. 20 June 2017, 7:38 PM, PDT)