Imagine becoming an archaeologist in, say, 2065. Your first big assignment? Dig up the now-collapsed Museum of the 1980s and catalog all its holdings: the Clash, “The Empire Strikes Back,” He-Man, Donkey Kong and a recording by Kim Carnes.
This is the feeling I often get when I watch ABC’s “The Goldbergs,” which plays on the same turf as “The Wonder Years,” “Happy Days” and “That ’70s Show,” but does it in the era in which I grew up. The sitcom hurls an awful lot of 1980s references at its viewers each week, but never in a way that appears to adhere to the rules of time, a practice I find frustrating and fascinating in equal measure.
- Brian Steinberg
Similar News ItemsSteven Spielberg
- Back Inside Innerspace, Joe Dante’s Fantastic Voyage (From DailyDead. 27 May 2016, 7:45 PM, PDT)
- Watch Steven Spielberg’s Harvard Commencement Speech (From Slash Film. 27 May 2016, 3:30 PM, PDT)
- Posterized: Tye Sheridan (From FilmExperience. 27 May 2016, 9:32 AM, PDT)
"Mad Men" (2007)
- Legends of Tomorrow Season One Arrives from the Future August 23 (From Comicmix. 29 May 2016, 12:31 PM, PDT)
- Westworld, Sarah Jessica Parker's Divorce Set for Fall Premieres at HBO (From TVLine.com. 26 May 2016, 12:25 PM, PDT)
- DC’s Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete First Season Blu-ray details and special features revealed (From Flickeringmyth. 26 May 2016, 12:00 PM, PDT)
Matthew Weiner (I)
- Don Draper's Wallet, Peggy's Typewriter for Sale in 'Mad Men' Auction (From Rolling Stone. 23 May 2016, 1:13 PM, PDT)
- ‘Mad Men’ Auction Will Let You Take Home Don Draper’s Wallet, Peggy Olson’s Typewriter (From Variety - TV News. 23 May 2016, 11:52 AM, PDT)
- Alexis Bledel and Vincent Kartheiser's Not-So-Secret Love: A Brief History of the Couple's Uber-Private Life Together (From PEOPLE.com. 19 May 2016, 12:30 PM, PDT)