Odd List Ryan Lambie 4 Feb 2014 - 06:48
We head back to the 80s and 90s to look at eight famous battles between directors and studio executives over a movie's final cut...
If filmmaking is a compromise between art and commerce, then the final cut is often the point in the process where the tug-of-war between the two becomes the most intense. In their desire to make a film more profitable - often after feedback from preview screenings - studio executives will sometimes request re-edits or the shooting of additional scenes. And occasionally, when directors attempt to resist those changes for whatever reason, the resulting tension between director and studio can reach breaking point.
To illustrate the different ways these tussles over a film's final cut can play out, we're heading back to the 80s and 90s. In some instances, the films that emerged from the editing room were considered to be influential triumphs. »
Similar News ItemsRidley Scott
- The Most Disappointing Year in Movies (From FilmSchoolRejects. 25 April 2017, 10:02 AM, PDT)
- 12 Blockbusters You Can’t Miss This Summer Season (From Indiewire. 25 April 2017, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- ‘Alien’ Evolution: Explore Every Stage in the Xenomorph’s Gruesome Life Cycle (From Indiewire. 25 April 2017, 7:27 AM, PDT)
Guillermo del Toro
- Annecy unveils 2017 line-up (From ScreenDaily. 25 April 2017, 2:35 AM, PDT)
- ‘Despicable Me 3,’ Pixar’s ‘Coco,’ ‘The Big Bad Fox’ to Bow at France’s 2017 Annecy Animation Festival (From Variety - Film News. 24 April 2017, 12:19 PM, PDT)
- Fox Developing Supernatural Thriller ‘Inside’ With ‘Luther’ Creator Neil Cross (From Variety - Film News. 21 April 2017, 5:08 PM, PDT)
Harrison Ford (I)
- Star Wars 9, Frozen 2 and new Indiana Jones movie get release dates! (From TheMovieBit. 25 April 2017, 1:16 PM, PDT)
- Indiana Jones 5 Gets New Summer 2020 Release Date (From MovieWeb. 25 April 2017, 12:59 PM, PDT)
- Release Dates for Star Wars: Episode IX and New Indiana Jones Film (From DailyDead. 25 April 2017, 12:00 PM, PDT)