Feature Seb Patrick 29 Jan 2014 - 05:50
Post-Avengers, superhero movies are all about shared universes, but will that work for Sony's Amazing Spider-Man franchise?
Shared universes have been a major feature of superhero comics for almost as long as capes and thought bubbles, but it's only relatively recently that they've become anywhere near as notable a feature in superhero movies. In the first wave of comic book films, 1984's Supergirl was the only example of a spinoff from an existing franchise, while the best-forgotten Batman and Robin hinted at the existence of Superman in what was little more than a throwaway joke.
In the post-x-Men era, meanwhile, the Spider-Man films remained resolutely standalone, while even X-Men Origins: Wolverine was more the only available route for the producers to continue after X-Men 3 than it was a genuinely separate story strand. The fragmentation of Marvel's character rights across various companies, and the stagnation »
Similar News ItemsMarvel Studios [us]
- Avengers: Infinity War has a reported budget of $1 billion (From Flickeringmyth. 9 October 2015, 1:22 AM, PDT)
- 5 Marvel Fan Bases Left Disappointed By The Big Phase Three Announcements (From Cinema Blend. 8 October 2015, 10:49 PM, PDT)
- Captain Marvel Co-Writer Explains How They’re Approaching The Character (From We Got This Covered. 8 October 2015, 4:12 PM, PDT)
The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
- Review: 99 Homes, A Faustian Foreclosure Drama (From Twitch. 8 October 2015, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Mary Mapes, Dan Rather Join Stars Cate Blanchett, Robert Redford at ‘Truth’ Screening (From Variety - Film News. 8 October 2015, 6:21 AM, PDT)
- 12 Ways To Make A Hulk Movie That Doesn’t Actually Suck (From Obsessed with Film. 7 October 2015, 8:39 AM, PDT)
- President Obama -- Come Party with Jamie Foxx and Me ... For $10,000/Ticket! (From TMZ. 8 October 2015, 8:56 AM, PDT)
- 20 Stars You Didn't Know Were Adopted (From Popsugar. 8 October 2015, 2:00 AM, PDT)
- 5 Pieces of Must-Know Casting News (From Backstage. 7 October 2015, 8:00 AM, PDT)