Tom Sherak, a storied figure in the industry who is perhaps best known for serving as the President of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, died Tuesday at his home in Calabasas, Calif., after a long battle with prostate cancer. He was 68.
Sherak served as the Academy President from 2009 to 2012. During his tenure he took Oscar voting online and made strides in diversifying the demographic of voting members.
“In the more than 30 years I’ve known Tom, his passionate support of and excitement about the motion picture business, the Academy, his family and friends never wavered. He was truly larger than life, »
- Lindsey Bahr
Similar News ItemsIndependence Day (1996)
- 'Vikings' Star Katheryn Winnick Joins 'Geostorm' (From MovieWeb. 26 September 2014, 12:46 PM, PDT)
- Will Smith Is Still the Fresh Prince - and Here Are 11 Reasons Why (From Popsugar. 25 September 2014, 4:09 AM, PDT)
- Amber Heard joins 'Magic Mike Xxl' cast (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 19 September 2014, 9:57 AM, PDT)
Home Alone (1990)
- ‘The Equalizer’ WrapOff Review: It's ‘Home Alone’ in a Home Depot (Video) (From The Wrap. 26 September 2014, 11:27 AM, PDT)
- Film Review: ‘Good People’ (From Variety - Film News. 26 September 2014, 10:52 AM, PDT)
- Did Doctor Who Outdo Himself? Is Dave Annable the Best Medicine? What Are Laura's Real Mysteries? And More Qs (From TVLine.com. 19 September 2014, 10:57 AM, PDT)
- Los Angeles Mayor Courts Chinese Film And TV Production To Come To City (From Deadline New York. 15 September 2014, 5:15 PM, PDT)
- To Date, Academy Has Had Only 3 Female Presidents; Today, Stronger Female Presence in Board of Governors (From Alt Film Guide. 4 September 2014, 3:12 PM, PDT)
- Academy Re-Elects Cheryl Boone Isaacs as President (From Variety - Film News. 5 August 2014, 7:28 PM, PDT)