Tom Sherak, a storied figure in the industry who is perhaps best known for serving as the President of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, died Tuesday at his home in Calabasas, Calif., after a long battle with prostate cancer. He was 68.
Sherak served as the Academy President from 2009 to 2012. During his tenure he took Oscar voting online and made strides in diversifying the demographic of voting members.
“In the more than 30 years I’ve known Tom, his passionate support of and excitement about the motion picture business, the Academy, his family and friends never wavered. He was truly larger than life, »
- Lindsey Bahr
Similar News ItemsIndependence Day (1996)
- Great Job, Internet!: The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull took many forms before blowing up on the big screen (From The AV Club. 30 September 2016, 10:45 AM, PDT)
- Why is everyone so upset about the live-action Lion King remake? (From Flickeringmyth. 29 September 2016, 8:20 AM, PDT)
- Southside With You review – likable account of the Obamas' first date (From The Guardian - Film News. 29 September 2016, 7:30 AM, PDT)
Home Alone (1990)
- Fantastic Fest 2016 Review: Safe Neighborhood is the Right Kind of Twisted (From Screen Anarchy. 30 September 2016, 4:20 PM, PDT)
- 5 Films featuring home invasions! (From The Hollywood News. 29 September 2016, 10:36 PM, PDT)
- 'Safe Neighborhood' Is the Badass Babysitter Movie You've Been Waiting For (From Movies.com. 26 September 2016, 4:30 PM, PDT)
Black Hawk Down (2001)
- Film Awards Roundup: Shailene Woodley to Receive Environmentalist Award, Ridley Scott Named American Cinematheque Award Recipient and More (From Indiewire. 23 September 2016, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Penny Dreadful: The Final Season Blu-ray / DVD Release Details & Cover Art (From DailyDead. 14 September 2016, 1:23 PM, PDT)
- Ewan McGregor Does Philip Roth No Favors With ‘American Pastoral’ [Tiff Review] (From The Playlist. 10 September 2016, 11:39 AM, PDT)