Sci-fi action/horror Pitch Black introduced audiences to survivalist Richard B. Riddick, played by then relative-unknown Vin Diesel; that cult hit gave rise to a bigger-budgeted followup, The Chronicles of Riddick, which under-performed both critically and financially. However, after nine years of stop-and-go progress and relative shoestring budgeting, a third installment was released last year, in the form of Riddick.
Riddick – once again directed by David Twohy – managed to eclipse its $38 million budget in the U.S. and grossed $98 million around the globe. That made the movie a profitable endeavor (not accounting for marketing), but it wasn’t clear if that was good enough to keep Universal interested in making a fourth Riddick installment… until ...
- Sandy Schaefer
Similar News ItemsVin Diesel
- Ang Lee’s War Opus Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk Gets International Trailer (From We Got This Covered. 26 October 2016, 3:07 PM, PDT)
- New Trailer for Ang Lee’s ‘Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk’ Heads to the Front Lines (From The Film Stage. 26 October 2016, 10:50 AM, PDT)
- Best Movies to See in November: 'Doctor Strange,' 'Fantastic Beasts' and More (From Rolling Stone. 26 October 2016, 8:45 AM, PDT)
- Tom Holland says Spider-Man 2 is already in development and they’re discussing which villain to use (From Flickeringmyth. 17 October 2016, 4:04 AM, PDT)
- Sony confirms Spider-Man spin-offs (From Flickeringmyth. 11 October 2016, 4:30 AM, PDT)
- Spider-Man: Homecoming has wrapped filming (From Flickeringmyth. 3 October 2016, 9:17 AM, PDT)
- Reliving "Riddick" (From SneakPeek. 20 October 2016, 8:51 AM, PDT)
- The 50 Best Sci-Fi Films of the 21st Century Thus Far (From The Film Stage. 19 July 2016, 10:56 AM, PDT)
- Shane Black's risky 'Predator' strategy: Can a 'genre' title work as an event film? (From Hitfix. 9 May 2016, 12:47 PM, PDT)