Sci-fi action/horror Pitch Black introduced audiences to survivalist Richard B. Riddick, played by then relative-unknown Vin Diesel; that cult hit gave rise to a bigger-budgeted followup, The Chronicles of Riddick, which under-performed both critically and financially. However, after nine years of stop-and-go progress and relative shoestring budgeting, a third installment was released last year, in the form of Riddick.
Riddick – once again directed by David Twohy – managed to eclipse its $38 million budget in the U.S. and grossed $98 million around the globe. That made the movie a profitable endeavor (not accounting for marketing), but it wasn’t clear if that was good enough to keep Universal interested in making a fourth Riddick installment… until ...
- Sandy Schaefer
Similar News ItemsVin Diesel
- Justice League Dark announced! Guardians of the Galaxy confirmed for Avengers! | FM Podcast #37 (From Flickeringmyth. 25 August 2016, 5:46 AM, PDT)
- Jason Statham Wants No Part of Fast 8 Feud Between the Rock and Vin Diesel (From MovieWeb. 24 August 2016, 8:34 PM, PDT)
- Newswire: It’s Rumor Time: That whole Fast 8 feud might really be about WrestleMania (From The AV Club. 24 August 2016, 6:24 PM, PDT)
- Halt and Catch Fire’s Jona Xiao joins Spider-Man: Homecoming (From Flickeringmyth. 23 August 2016, 6:57 AM, PDT)
- James Gunn responds to critics of Zendaya’s potential casting as Mary Jane Watson in Spider-Man: Homecoming (From Flickeringmyth. 20 August 2016, 1:03 PM, PDT)
- The Guardians of the Galaxy Will Appear in Next ‘Avengers’ Film, Vin Diesel Says (From Indiewire. 20 August 2016, 9:14 AM, PDT)
- The 50 Best Sci-Fi Films of the 21st Century Thus Far (From The Film Stage. 19 July 2016, 10:56 AM, PDT)
- Shane Black's risky 'Predator' strategy: Can a 'genre' title work as an event film? (From Hitfix. 9 May 2016, 12:47 PM, PDT)
- Riddick director David Twohy to helm sci-fi drama Ice Moon Rising (From JoBlo. 19 April 2016, 8:59 AM, PDT)