Our Sundance Film Festival coverage continues with Michael Cusumano on "Life Itself".
Is there any point in pretending I can be impartial in reviewing Steven James’ documentary adaptation of Roger Ebert’s autobiography Life Itself? I, like no doubt a lot of critics, feel Ebert is in no small way responsible for the fact that I write about film. I purchased a copy of his Movie Home Companion around age 13 that I read and reread until it literally fell apart at the seams. In college I wrote him with a question about Memento and he mentioned me at the start of his review (no fooling), which remains one of the cooler things to ever happen to me. At a time when I was badly in need of encouragement he posted a link to my blog on his Facebook page and sent a Biblical torrent of traffic my way.
So yeah, »
- Michael C.
Similar News ItemsRoger Ebert
- Sofia Coppola: The Specific Touch of Femininity (From MUBI. 23 June 2017, 8:15 AM, PDT)
- Studios Are Right: Rotten Tomatoes Has Ruined Film Criticism — Opinion (From Indiewire. 23 June 2017, 8:11 AM, PDT)
- 6 Ways to Launch a Career as a Film Critic — Ask IndieWire (From Indiewire. 22 June 2017, 7:00 AM, PDT)
Martin Scorsese (I)
- The 6 Worst Martin Scorsese Directed Films of All-Time (From TVovermind.com. 25 June 2017, 6:00 PM, PDT)
- Martin Scorsese’s Greed Trilogy: ‘Goodfellas,’ ‘Casino,’ and ‘The Wolf of Wall Street’ (From FilmSchoolRejects. 23 June 2017, 1:55 PM, PDT)
- Film Review: Bertrand Tavernier’s ‘My Journey Through French Cinema’ (From Variety - Film News. 23 June 2017, 10:37 AM, PDT)
- Influential French Auteur Jean-Marie Straub to Receive Locarno Lifetime Achievement Award (From Variety - Film News. 22 June 2017, 5:20 AM, PDT)
- Locarno to honour 'Sicily!' director Jean-Marie Straub (From ScreenDaily. 22 June 2017, 4:55 AM, PDT)
- Mikhail Gorbachev feature doc, series in the works (From ScreenDaily. 20 June 2017, 7:08 AM, PDT)