The Golden Globes are often full of surprises, and this year was no exception, especially as the many TV categories added an extra layer of unexpected wins.
Film Awards: Biggest Surprises
“12 Years a Slave’s” best drama win was probably the biggest surprise of the night, as many awards observers thought the film hadn’t appealed to the Hollywood Foreign Press with its very American theme and relative lack of star power, despite its near-unanimous critical acclaim. But the final win was a fitting capper for a show that had any number of counter-intuitive moments.
Completely shut out were “Nebraska” with five nominations, “Captain Phillips” with four, “Inside Llewyn Davis” with three, “Philomena” with three and “Rush” with two, including best drama motion picture.
Proving that extreme weight loss is indeed the path to winning, Matthew McConaughey’s drama actor win nonetheless surprised, given the Hollywood Foreign Press’ love of »
- Pat Saperstein
Similar News Items"Saturday Night Live" (1975)
- Emmy list: TV shows ('Game of Thrones') and networks (HBO) with the most nominations (From Gold Derby. 10 July 2014, 7:40 AM, PDT)
- Emmy Nominations by the Numbers (From The Wrap. 10 July 2014, 7:39 AM, PDT)
- Full list of nominations for the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards (From Flickeringmyth. 10 July 2014, 7:25 AM, PDT)
Jennifer Lawrence (III)
- New Teaser Video For The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 (From Worst Previews. 10 July 2014, 5:16 AM, PDT)
- The Mockingjay Lives In New ‘Hunger Games’ Teaser (From The Hollywood News. 10 July 2014, 3:24 AM, PDT)
- New teaser for The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1 (From Flickeringmyth. 10 July 2014, 1:04 AM, PDT)
"Breaking Bad" (2008)
- Which Leading Actor Will Beat Jon Hamm for an Emmy This Year? (From Vulture. 10 July 2014, 8:20 AM, PDT)
- Which former Oscar winners were nominated for 2014 Emmys? (From Hitfix. 10 July 2014, 8:05 AM, PDT)
- Emmys 2014: Too many great shows, not enough spots, and some dumb choices (From Hitfix. 10 July 2014, 7:48 AM, PDT)