It's been a vintage year for Hollywood – and the big studios are now lobbying hard in a tight and high-stakes race
A diet of bubblegum blockbusters and inane sequels has exposed Hollywood for years to accusations of undermining western civilisation, or at the very least dumbing it down. Who could emerge from the likes of Battlefield Earth, Showgirls and Basic Instinct 2 and not wonder at Tinseltown crassness? How could an industry with so much money and talent produce so much junk?
You don't hear such questions these days. A run of exceptional films has restored Hollywood's cultural credentials and fuelled some of the most intense awards campaigning in living memory.
Studios, actors and directors are slugging it out – and allegedly slinging mud – in what promises to be a vintage season for gongs, starting with the Golden Globes on Sunday and climaxing with the Oscars in March. "For a time, »
- Rory Carroll
Similar News ItemsLeonardo DiCaprio
- Leonardo DiCaprio Boards Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu’s ‘The Revenant’ (From LatinoReview. 16 April 2014, 2:47 AM, PDT)
- Leonardo DiCaprio -- Manhandled like a Bitch ... At Coachella (From TMZ. 16 April 2014, 12:30 AM, PDT)
- Leonardo DiCaprio set to star in Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu's 'The Revenant' (From RealBollywood. 15 April 2014, 11:55 PM, PDT)
"Breaking Bad" (2008)
- Breaking Bad: 13 Tie-In Products We’d Love To See (From Obsessed with Film. 16 April 2014, 3:32 AM, PDT)
- Sundance Channel set for UK (From ScreenDaily. 16 April 2014, 2:44 AM, PDT)
- Hilary Swank Becomes Tommy Lee Jones' Lifesaver in The Homesman Trailer—Watch Now! (From E! Online. 15 April 2014, 6:49 PM, PDT)
- The Wolf Of Wall Street Honest Trailer Is Effing Brilliant (From Cinema Blend. 15 April 2014, 5:36 PM, PDT)
- Cool Videos: Get f*cked with this Honest Trailer for The Wolf of Wall Street (From JoBlo. 15 April 2014, 3:19 PM, PDT)
- Honest Trailer for The Wolf Of Wall Street (From GeekTyrant. 15 April 2014, 2:00 PM, PDT)