Feature Ryan Lambie 10 Jan 2014 - 15:08
With tech thriller Transcendence out this year, Hollywood seems to be revisiting its 90s fascination with virtual reality, Ryan writes...
Like seasons, hairstyles and fashion, genre popularity in Hollywood runs in cycles. Historical epics have faded in and out of favour since the 1930s, for example, and appear to be on the rise again, with Ridley Scott’s Exodus, Darren Aronofsky’s Noah and two movies based on the Hercules legend all on the horizon. It's not just historical epics making a comeback, either. With Wally Pfister's directorial debut Transcendence, we could be in for a mini revival of the cyber thrillers of the 1990s.
If you don't know anything about Transcendence yet, you can catch up with the first trailer here. Briefly, it's about a scientist (Johnny Depp) who's killed by terrorists shortly after completing some groundbreaking research into machine intelligence. Grief stricken, »
Similar News ItemsJohnny Depp
- Keanu Classic: Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure (From The Hollywood News. 6 March 2015, 4:00 AM, PST)
- 9 actors who have left Downton Abbey for better... or worse (From Digital Spy - TV news. 5 March 2015, 12:00 PM, PST)
- America Has Spoken: George Clooney Is the Most Stylish Man of All Time! (From Entertainment Tonight. 2 March 2015, 8:20 PM, PST)
Christopher Nolan (I)
- Watch: Batman Gets Kinky In Mashup 'Fifty Shades Of Wayne' (From The Playlist. 6 March 2015, 7:19 AM, PST)
- "Alien 5" News: Weaver, Blomkamp, Make-Up (From Dark Horizons. 6 March 2015, 6:53 AM, PST)
- 8 Ways Heath Ledger’s Joker Almost Turned Out Completely Different (From Obsessed with Film. 5 March 2015, 6:38 AM, PST)
- The Walking Dead, Nightbreed: The Director’s Cut & Hannibal Nominated in 41st Annual Saturn Awards (From DailyDead. 4 March 2015, 11:00 AM, PST)
- What's the Best Makeup Color for Green Eyes? We Have the Answers (From E! Online. 4 March 2015, 9:39 AM, PST)
- Report: Academy Old Guard wants to go backward with just 5 Best Picture nominees (From Hitfix. 4 March 2015, 2:12 AM, PST)