Anghus Houvouras on how the media has marketed the 12 Years a Slave poster 'controversy'...
It's one of those stories that generates passion and indignation. The entire debate steeped in knee-jerk reactions and emotional outbursts. The story is designed to make you think a great injustice has been perpetrated. But when you start to examine the story closer, you realize that it's not really a controversy, it's a nontroversy.
The phrase nontroversy has been used for years in politics, when trumped up scandals and accusations are a tactic frequently employed. A kind of pointless, non-story engineered to generate pageviews and stir heated conversations using the oldest tricks in the book.
Steve McQueen's new film 12 Years a Slave is premiering in Italy where distributors opted for a poster campaign focusing on some of the A-List talent that populates the supporting cast. Notably Brad Pitt and Michael Fassbender. The poster still features »
- Gary Collinson
Similar News ItemsBrad Pitt
- Unbroken Star Jack O'Connell: Angelina "Presented Herself to Me as a Total Equal" (From Popsugar. 25 December 2014, 3:07 PM, PST)
- Unbroken Star Jack O'Connell: Angelina "Presented Herself to Me as a Total Equal" (From BuzzSugar. 25 December 2014, 3:07 PM, PST)
- Top Ten Movies from 2014 You Should Catch Up With on Streaming (From FilmExperience. 25 December 2014, 9:34 AM, PST)
- Watch Emily Blunt Do One Of The Best Tom Cruise Impressions We've Ever Seen (From Cinema Blend. 26 December 2014, 1:31 PM, PST)
- Katherine Waterston cast as female lead in Steve Jobs biopic (From National Ledger. 24 December 2014, 11:00 AM, PST)
- 9 Celebs Who Ended 2014 Looking Amazing (From Entertainment Tonight. 23 December 2014, 6:42 PM, PST)
- ‘Steve Jobs’ San Francisco Shoot Seeks Vintage Techies (From Variety - Film News. 26 December 2014, 6:11 PM, PST)
- Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pratt Top Highest-Grossing Actors List (From Variety - Film News. 26 December 2014, 4:02 PM, PST)
- Jennifer Lawrence Tops Chris Pratt as 2014’s Highest Grossing Actor (From The Wrap. 26 December 2014, 3:28 PM, PST)