In 2013, Hollywood saw big box office hits with Jennifer Lawrence in “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire,” Sandra Bullock in “Gravity” and Melissa McCarthy (and Bullock again) in “The Heat.” But none of these girl-power sagas were directed by a woman.
It’s the same old story. Four years after Kathryn Bigelow became the first woman to win the directing Oscar for “The Hurt Locker,” the industry still has a terrible track record on gender equality behind the camera. As we head into awards season, the Oscar buzz is all about the guys (see Alfonso Cuaron, Steven McQueen, David O. Russell, Paul Greengrass, Martin Scorsese, Woody Allen, Spike Jonze, etc.).
Women did not direct any tentpole features in 2013 with the exception of Disney’s animated “Frozen,” made by the duo Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee. The most successful movie directed solely by a woman was Kimberly Peirce’s remake of “Carrie, »
- Ramin Setoodeh
Similar News ItemsJennifer Lawrence (III)
- The Preview Reel: Ghost in the Shell and The Boss Baby (From CinemaNerdz. 29 March 2017, 7:42 PM, PDT)
- Jennifer Lawrence Is "Mesmerized" by Darren Aronofsky's "Talent and Brains" (From Popsugar. 29 March 2017, 2:28 PM, PDT)
- Michelle Pfeiffer Returns To Hollywood, Explains Brief Hiatus (From Uinterview. 29 March 2017, 11:15 AM, PDT)
- Angelina Jolie’s Real-Life Battle to Win the Role of Tomb Raider’s Lara Croft (From PEOPLE.com. 29 March 2017, 2:17 PM, PDT)
- How Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt Fooled Everybody: From Court to Co-Parenting While People Were Distracted by Scandal (From E! Online. 29 March 2017, 12:29 PM, PDT)
- Angelina Jolie Agreed to Drug Testing for Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, New Book Reveals (From E! Online. 29 March 2017, 9:23 AM, PDT)
- Alex Garland’s Annihilation pushed back to 2018 (From Flickeringmyth. 29 March 2017, 6:00 PM, PDT)
- Hollywood Women Are About to Kick a Lot of Ass on the Big Screen — CinemaCon 2017 (From Indiewire. 29 March 2017, 2:28 PM, PDT)
- CinemaCon Buzzmeter: What’s Hot and Cold in Las Vegas (From Variety - Film News. 29 March 2017, 10:01 AM, PDT)