In preparing to ring in the new year, let’s bid a not-so-fond farewell to seven media trends that remained inordinately prominent – and especially tiresome – during 2013.
Granted, this farewell is, at best, temporary. Media folk are, after all, creatures of habit. Yet while it would be naïve to hope any of these irritants can be retired, it would be lovely to see at least some of them reduced in the year ahead:
Foot-in-the-mouth firings. As it turned out, 2013 was an unusually good year for people saying stupid things on TV – or committing social-media suicide via 140-character outbursts on Twitter. Granted, this should have served notice to those who toil in some form of communications that they should actually think before they speak or tweet, but the rapid-response armies of peasants with pitchforks have a way of turning each of these interludes into its own over-saturated, media-scrum monstrosity.
At the very least, »
- Brian Lowry
Similar News ItemsJennifer Lawrence (III)
- Oscar predictions: 'The Revenant,' 'Carol' to get 9 nominations; 'Spotlight,' 'Mad Max: Fury Road' to win 4 (From Gold Derby. 26 November 2015, 5:15 AM, PST)
- Jennifer Lawrence to make feature directing debut (From The Hollywood News. 25 November 2015, 11:30 PM, PST)
- Jennifer Lawrence thinks Passengers script is perfect (From Virgin Media - TV. 25 November 2015, 10:00 PM, PST)
- The Essentials: 10 Great Sylvester Stallone Performances (From The Playlist. 25 November 2015, 8:46 AM, PST)
- ‘Amy,’ ‘The Hunting Ground’ Nominated for Producers Guild’s Documentary Award (From Variety - Film News. 23 November 2015, 10:35 AM, PST)
- In Inner Space: David Lean's Indian Investigations (From MUBI. 20 November 2015, 4:15 AM, PST)
Jack Nicholson (I)
- ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest’ Turns 40 and Demands a Re-Watch (From SoundOnSight. 22 November 2015, 12:50 PM, PST)
- How Cuckoo's Nest swept the Oscars and the 5 films that came close (From Cineplex. 20 November 2015, 6:00 AM, PST)
- 40 years ago today: Oscars-bound ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest’ premiered (From Hitfix. 19 November 2015, 7:00 AM, PST)