"The Exorcist," released 40 years ago this week (on December 26, 1973), is widely regarded as the scariest movie ever made, but after four decades, two sequels, two prequels, and countless spoofs, is there anything about the tale of demon-possessed Regan MacNeil (Linda Blair) and the priests who try to save her (Max von Sydow and Jason Miller) left to jolt and shock us?
Maybe there is. "Exorcist" director William Friedkin's 2013 memoir, "The Friedkin Connection," has three chapters full of dish on the making of the film, including which characters were based on famous people, how some of the famous special effects were accomplished, how he came to slap a Jesuit priest, and whether or not the production was cursed. Here are 25 things you may not know about "The Exorcist," many of them from Friedkin's recent book.
1. The real case that inspired William Peter Blatty's novel and screenplay was the 1949 exorcism of a 14-year-old boy, »
- Gary Susman
Similar News ItemsMichael Jackson (I)
- Britain's Got Talent episode 2: The good, the bad & the bizarre (From Digital Spy - TV news. 19 April 2014, 12:31 PM, PDT)
- Tito Jackson -- Jermaine Didn't Mean Michael Jackson Would Be Nothing Without Jackson 5 (From TMZ. 19 April 2014, 1:02 AM, PDT)
- The 9 Scariest Moments of the New One Direction Video (From Hitfix. 18 April 2014, 1:30 PM, PDT)
Warner Bros. [us]
- Spoiler Footage From "Godzilla" (From SneakPeek. 20 April 2014, 2:58 PM, PDT)
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier Takes 1st At Holiday Box Office; Rio 2 Leads International Nearing $300M (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 20 April 2014, 2:58 PM, PDT)
- Johnny Depp’s ‘Transcendence’ Bombs (From Hollywoodnews.com. 20 April 2014, 2:03 PM, PDT)
Eddie Murphy (I)
- 10 big stars and their big movie mistakes (From Hitfix. 19 April 2014, 5:38 PM, PDT)
- Saturday Night Live Plans 40th Anniversary Celebration (From We Got This Covered. 19 April 2014, 4:31 AM, PDT)
- Marlon Wayans: 25 Things You Don't Know About Me (From Us Weekly. 19 April 2014, 2:46 AM, PDT)