"The Exorcist," released 40 years ago this week (on December 26, 1973), is widely regarded as the scariest movie ever made, but after four decades, two sequels, two prequels, and countless spoofs, is there anything about the tale of demon-possessed Regan MacNeil (Linda Blair) and the priests who try to save her (Max von Sydow and Jason Miller) left to jolt and shock us?
Maybe there is. "Exorcist" director William Friedkin's 2013 memoir, "The Friedkin Connection," has three chapters full of dish on the making of the film, including which characters were based on famous people, how some of the famous special effects were accomplished, how he came to slap a Jesuit priest, and whether or not the production was cursed. Here are 25 things you may not know about "The Exorcist," many of them from Friedkin's recent book.
1. The real case that inspired William Peter Blatty's novel and screenplay was the 1949 exorcism of a 14-year-old boy, »
- Gary Susman
Similar News ItemsMichael Jackson (I)
- ‘The Simpsons’ Marathon: 6 Things to Notice While Watching Fxx’s 12-Day Run (From Variety - TV News. 20 August 2014, 12:58 PM, PDT)
- Film Review: ‘Monument to Michael Jackson’ (From Variety - Film News. 19 August 2014, 8:03 AM, PDT)
- Debbie Reynolds To Be Honored With 2014 SAG Life Achievement Award (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 18 August 2014, 10:17 AM, PDT)
Warner Bros. [us]
- Sandra Bullock and David Gordon Green Team on ‘Our Brand is Crisis’ (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 21 August 2014, 9:21 AM, PDT)
- The Batfleck Cowl To Go On Display (From Dark Horizons. 21 August 2014, 8:50 AM, PDT)
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt Updates Us On His Adaptation Of Neil Gaiman's Sandman (From Cinema Blend. 21 August 2014, 7:45 AM, PDT)
Eddie Murphy (I)
- The Possession of Michael King Is Smarter Than Most Exorcism Movies (From Village Voice. 19 August 2014, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- 48 L.A. and NYC Outdoor Movies to See Before Summer’s Over (From Backstage. 19 August 2014, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Ivan Reitman on Ghosbusters 3 and Triplets (From Den of Geek. 17 August 2014, 10:49 PM, PDT)