Moviegoers will have plenty to unwrap in theaters Christmas Day, with a hefty eight films opening, including Martin Scorsese’s latest “The Wolf of Wall Street”, Ben Stiller’s “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty” and the Keanu Reeves samurai tentpole “47 Ronin.” But auds still are likely to crown Warner Bros.’ third-frame holdover “The Hobbit” as the B.O. champ, with a projected five-day gross at north of $40 million.
“Wolf of Wall Street,” which Paramount is releasing at more than 2,500 Stateside locations, looks to have the edge among the new entries, tracking in the mid-$20 millions Friday-Sunday. Par expects the film to gross somewhere in the $30 million range in five days, with opening day expectations at around $7 million.
Meanwhile, Fox’s “Walter Mitty” and Warner Bros.’ older-skewing “Grudge Match,” starring Robert De Niro and Sylvester Stallone, are projected to land in the high-teens in three days. Both look to eclipse »
- Andrew Stewart
Similar News ItemsJustin Bieber
- Taylor Swift Has a Major Obsession With Cats—See All of the Adorable Pics! (From E! Online. 19 August 2014, 4:32 PM, PDT)
- Emma Stone and Simon Cowell Do the Als Ice Bucket Challenge, Actress Adorably Nominates Beau "Andrew Gar Field of Dreams" (From E! Online. 19 August 2014, 2:26 PM, PDT)
- Jade Starling, of ’80s Group Pretty Poison, Is Back With Solo Album (From TheImproper.com. 19 August 2014, 10:47 AM, PDT)
- David Beckham, LeAnn Rimes, Hugh Jackman and Zoe Saldana Accept the Als Ice Bucket Challenge (From E! Online. 19 August 2014, 11:05 AM, PDT)
- The Weekend's Must-See Snaps! (From Popsugar. 18 August 2014, 4:00 AM, PDT)
- The Essential Films & TV to Stream This Week – August 18th 2014 (From HeyUGuys. 18 August 2014, 3:00 AM, PDT)
Warner Bros. [us]
- Ari Emanuel, Patrick Whitesell and Wme Complete Als Ice Bucket Challenge (From The Wrap. 19 August 2014, 6:57 PM, PDT)
- ‘Rush’ Star Alexandra Maria Lara Joins Gerard Butler in ‘Geostorm’ (Exclusive) (From The Wrap. 19 August 2014, 6:25 PM, PDT)
- Benedict Cumberbatch To Voice Shere Khan in Jungle Book: Origins. (From TheMovieBit. 19 August 2014, 5:18 PM, PDT)